The fourth generation Volkswagen Jetta, also called the MK4 or the Bora, is Volkswagen's family sedan.

Timing belt on my 2002 Volkswagen Jetta

So I was driving down a parking ramp and my timing belt broke I immediately coasted into a parking stall and turned my car off once it died are my valves still bent?

Ryan, due to the limited clearance between valves and pistons you will not know if they are bend unless you check it by removing the cylinder head or performing a leak down test.

Most Helpful Answer

What you need to know is what motor is in this car before you make any kind of decision on damage. If the engine is a 1.8 turbo then no damage as it is considered a non interference engine under no circumstance will the valves hit the cylinder head. Even if the timing belt break the 2.0 is a different story as it is an interference engine and the valves will top of the cylinder head if the belt breaks.

by the way a leak down test is the easiest way to know without disassembling the engine.

For future individuals who stumble onto this thread. The 1.8t is absolutely an interference engine. Very expensive and you will have some valves bent 100% of the time usually 80-100% of the valves being damaged. Head will likely need to be replaced not rebuilt if a timing belt breaks in the 1.8t. The 2.0 petrol is also interference but people sometimes get lucky and have no damage when a timing belt breaks. Most of the time they are also damaged.

your valves will be fine.

Score -1

Sunny, how do you know without checking?

Ya I agree they need to be checked

drive around a find out, i been driving my car with check engine light on for as long as i can remember.

Check engine light has nothing to do with the damage a broken timing belt can cause. Driving it without a prior inspection could further damage the engine.

Ryan will be eternally grateful.