Model A1225 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2.4, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Does the screen can short-circuit my iMac?

Imac 24 2.8 Early 2008 A1225

As my Imac wouldnt boot anymore I brought it to a repairman who told me it was probably the logic board that was defective and not worth repairing. With nothing to lose, I disassembled it.

When I unplug the power cable of the screen and turn on the Imac, it starts and I see the four LED's on. When I reconnect the power cable of the screen, the iMac shutdown and all of the LED's too.

Question: if I change the screen, is that going to work?

Thank's

stmorice, you say "reconnect the power cable of the screen" are you referring to the inverter cable or the LVDS cable? Right now, it does sound like the LCD is shortening out. Just a matter of trying to figure out where. The most likely place would be from the inverter cable to the power supply.

Thank you for your answer. As soon as I got the mini-DVI to VGA adapter I will inform you of the tests results.

Best regards,

Daniel

Thank you oldturkey03. I thing it is the LVDS cable. It's the cable connecting to the power supply. When it's disconnect, the computer is running with the four LED's on. When connect, it go on for three seconds and shutdown completely and no more LED's. I have to unplug from the wall a few seconds, plug it again and it shutdown about three seconds later. I will do the test to plug it to an external monitor and let you now of the result.

Best regards,

Daniel

If it comes of the PSU then that is your inverter cable. So it could still be a couple of things. BAD PSU, Bad Inverter cable and/or bad LCD. Start with the cheapest, the cable.

I finally received the cable to connect the iMac to an external display. I plugged and started. For a little over a minute the screen remains black, and then it becomes gray and appears a wallpaper-not mine - with the top menu bar, but without the dock. The F9, F10 and F11 on the keyboard works but not the mouse. I note that the mini-DVI output works and the video card and sound card. I tried the Mac keyboard shortcuts, but nothing seems to work. Reinstall the OS he will correct my problem?

Thank's

Hook up an external monitor and see if it is generating a video signal. Also shine a flashlight on the screen and see if you can discern the desktop. Find a more knowledgable computer tech, this one is not worth your time or money or trust.

stmorice will be eternally grateful.