Repair guides and support for phones produced by the South Korean phone and tablet manufacturer, Pantech.

Dropped my phone in salt water. help!

Hello.

I dropped my brand new pantech link phone into the ocean about 12 hours ago. It only took a dunk, fell from my pocket. I tried to put it in rice and let it sit for a few hours. When I put the battery in, the keyboard lights up. Then if i press and hold the end key, it turns on like usual. Then when it gets to home screen, i cant open anything. my buttons dont work. i can get calls and text messages but cant answer or open either of them. they screen and keyboard stay lite until i take the battery out and try again. i have tried to charge the phone but nothing. any ideas on what i should do, or help me fix this?! please and thank you so much

good that i don't have to understand everything - have fun with your new phone

first of all - don't put the battery in the phone!!

forget about the rice, disassemble the phone asap - and with asap i mean NOW!

salt water is very corrosive and the only chance to save the phone is cleaning it.

take the logic board and clean it first with distilled water and a paintbrush (i know it sounds stupid, but the salt must be removed)

i didn't find a teardown or something else, but it should not be that big problem to get this device apart.

after the first cleaning, use a different paintbrush and isopropyl alcohol to clean the logicboard again, let it dry after that.

when it's dry, check the board for white/greenish residue - if there is any - clean it again with the alcohol

clean all connectors too - dont forget the keypad and other switches that the phone could have - the only thing that not has to be massively cleaned is the lcd - that would most likely die - but the contacs ot the lcd must be cleaned too

let it dry disassembled - don't use a hair dryer (a day or two are enough)

then reassemble it and try to power it on

good luck

Agreed.

thanks, im trying it right now. hope it works!

good luck, but it was a little bit strange that you first accepted my answer and then osvaldo's answer. that's why i wrote the comment above

Salt water is an electronic KILLER.

Not only is it highly conductive but it’s also very corrosive. So even if your phone does work after it has had time to dry you might run into some serious problems later on down the road. You want to get that salt water out of your phone as best as you can.

I would suggest that you follow all of the advice listed at How to save a phone dropped in salt water but basically…

1. Remove the phone from the salt water as quickly as possible.
  2. Fill up a container that your cell phone will fit into with isopropyl alcohol (I highly suggest that you use 99% alcohol).
  3. Submerge your phone in the alcohol and try to get the alcohol to go into the phone and try to get the salt water out of the phone.
  4. Let your phone soak in alcohol for a good hour (or more).
  5. Remove the phone from the alcohol and then dry it by hand as best as you can.
  6. Let it sit and dry in rice until the phone is completely dry (this could be over night or a couple of days).
  7. Put the phone all back together, cross your fingers, turn on your phone and see if everything is still working properly.

If it is then enjoy your working phone if it isn’t then parts of your phone may have been damaged and those parts or the phone itself will likely need to be replaced.

Instead of using 99% alcohol should I buy a new motherbroad

I dropped my phone in slat water ages ago and i let it dry out but i didn't end up working so i sent it away and they couldn't fix it.. I was wondering if I can still get it to work? It's a Sony Xperia S ( I think)

I know this is late but just wanted to show what can happen when you drop it in salty water and don't clean it instantly. This is a Galaxy Alpha dropped in the Mediterranean Sea (saltier than the Atlantic) and left to dry for 4 days (had no tools to disassemble it until I got home).

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lf9uwlbobpve6pm...

Note the black stuff on the left part (that's the lcd, upside down, should be all shiny bronze), the white power stuff on the right, etc. Corrosion got to it in a hearth beat. This phone is most likely beyond repair.

Dear Admin

Last weekend i went to honey moon using wiko hand phone was drop at water, unable to ON feel regret and couldn't retrieve the photos back. Thanks Wiko phone producer it wouldn't get memories after using nonsense phone which is battery has been connected to motherboard...

While produce the phone they should fine alliterative solutions if accidentally drop water should take out battery. Unfortunately not at all. Once again thanks to producer for the phone wiko

Dear Admin

Anyone of you can really help me hoe to retrieve the photo in phone.

You Need To Let It Set In Rice 4 Two Days My Sister Did The Same Thing She Has The Same Phone And Now Hers Works Perfectly

Score -1

and if it does not get cleaned properly after, it will suffer failure from corrosion damage down the road. The rice is a good first aid, but it is not a permanent fix ;-)

marissa will be eternally grateful.