After I add a dual HDD, can I merge with existing HDD?

I have a 64 GB SSD in my 2008 MBP's hard drive bay right now. I want to add a second SSD using the optical drive replacement piece. Is there a way for both drives to act as one in OS X? Or would the second SSD have to be a separate drive?

Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor more than our dads—let’s celebrate all the mentors who taught us how to fix.
Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor those who taught us how to fix.

First lets make sure we understand things here:

• The first way is setting up a RAID set. Here's a write-up that explains them Standard RAID levels.
  • The second way is setting up a Apple Fusion drive which is similar to RAID 0 but smarter when you have a HD and a SSD.

RAID'ing is a very good way to improve access speed and/or reliability, but it comes with a cost depending on which RAID level to go with. RAID 0 is great for speed but it can put your data a risk if one drive fails. RAID 1 offers a fail safe image if one drive fails and it still can offer some speed improvement but not as much as RAID 0.

Frankly, I think its smarter to go with an external drive which is setup with RAID 5 if you really want both the speed and the protection.

Apples Fusion drive won't work here as you have two high speed SSD's so there is no gain. If you had a HD in one drive bay then I would go with it.

Zach Lucas will be eternally grateful.