Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

$3!--Toilet Water->Stuck @ low batt screen->New battery to fix it?

A couple months ago, this iPhone 3G was dropped into a toilet. The rice trick didn't work. I recently plugged it into a computer and the screen comes up (in perfect condition) with the screen you get when you've drained your battery (the one with the minimal red line of juice and lightning bolt)... When the phone is unplugged, it turns off immediately. This made me think the battery was simply dead, but I'm not so sure after reading of people that were able to boot their iPhones with batteries that were just as bad (turned off immediately after being unplugged)... What's the deal here?

-Is the iPhone 3G capable of booting without a working battery?

-Is there a chance that the battery is being detected as depleted but is incapable of being recharged?

-Would toilet water deteriorate the soldering of the battery? I know urine is acidic...

-Is it likely that other components were damaged if the battery was damaged?

-The iPhone was on when it was dropped in the toilet...

-When home and power buttons are pressed while it's plugged in, the screen doesn't shut off

-When it's plugged in, the computer doesn't recognize that it is plugged in (not transferring USB data, only power)

$3 via PayPal to whoever gives the best answer once I've verified it helped me (if that's allowed here). Thanks!

first of all - keep the 3$ and invest them into a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (>90%) and a paintbrush.

open the iphone check it for white/greenish residue - this stuff must be removed

clean the logic board and the connectors with the alcohol/paintbrush

let it dry, reassemble it and connect it with the computer.

the red battery is a good sign - it means that the battery is still alive and that the fuse is not shot, but it would take a while until the iphone has neough power to boot up correctly and get recognized by itunes.

and btw - the battery in the 3g/3gs isn't soldered to the board

+ Ralph

+ bravo

Okay, I'm getting the iPhone delivered to me on Monday (cost me $25!) and I'll get my hands on some >90% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol by then... I also ordered a battery w/ tools for $8 that will get here a couple days later... I'll let you guys know the results!

CRAP! I opened it up and there wasn't any white/green residue/corrosion... I went all the way down to the battery and even took out the dock connector and inspected it... everything seems to be in perfect physical connection... I'm wondering if it's a good idea to just let this thing stay plugged in overnight or if I should wait until tomorrow for the battery to come in, and if that doesn't fix it (thinking it won't now), I'll plug it in overnight then? On second thought, I'm too anxious to see this thing work, so I'm gonna try with the old (possibly water-damaged) battery... Let me know if I should stop and wait!

if the phone is dry inside, you can power it on

Hi. Kind of in the same situation with the red "charging battery" sign. However, have not received any messages yet. Phone had been accidentally placed in washing machine and did not charge using the i-phone charger. Used a c-squid from Amazon which was supposed to charge better. Actually got enough charge to get the logos on my screen but does not fully charge. Tried to change the battery, but still does not charge fully. Would changing the connecting dock help? Have not tried to clean up using the alcohol yet. Should I do that first? Did not note any residue on the inside when I opened it. Not enough charge to update the phone now. Thx.

this would be better if you asked a new question. but...clean with alcohol first (under metal cover on motherboard which is tricky to remove), then change the dock if you get no response from new battery

Thanks. Will do this first, then change dock and if still does not work, will start new question. Thanks again.

How does one remove the metal cover? Is it soldered on?

you need to carefully insert something like a flathead screwdriver beneath each and every tiny clamp along the sides of the metal cover.(theres about 50!)if you look carefully you'll see a small gap between the clamp and the motherbboard, turn the screwdriver a little to lift clamp.they only move about 1mm and you will have to work each one until only the central join of the metal cover is holding the cover on. be careful not to put pressure on any internal parts and slide screwdriver under the cover to central join. then do the same twist with screwdriver to lift central clamps-repeat for other side. its time consuming and a bit nerve wracking,but worth it when you see what the water left behind!

Hi. Removed the metal cover. No discoloration noted under metal, but did clean with alcohol. Attempting to charge now, but has gone to the same screen, which shows red battery with lightning sign. Guess next step will be to change the charging dock. Am waiting for it now (in the mail). Will keep you updated after that. Thanks.

Cleaned with alcohol. Changed battery and the charging dock. Still does not charge fully. Any other recommendations, other than scrapping the

i-phone?

Michael Babineau will be eternally grateful.