The Xbox 7MN-0001 Wireless Controller, was manufactured by Microsoft Corporation. It is the first generation Xbox One controller released, but has since been discontinued. This controller has since been superseded by Models 1697/1698 and Model 1708. While this controller is commonly used with the Xbox One, it can also be used for PC gaming.

Why can't my controller detect headset

Just recently my xbox one controller won't detect my xbox one official headset. I tried using other alternative like plugging the xbox one official headset adapter but the controller still can't detect the headset. The light on the mute button won't light up when I pressed it

I have the same problem... my headset use to work now it won’t even detect any headset.

This has just started happening to our console aswell only had it since Christmas!! Can't solve this problem , does anyone no how to ?

Hi I’m having the same problem. My turtle beach headset used to work perfectly in my new controller but not it dosent even read that I have a headset in? When I make a party it says “cannot recoignize Mic for this person, I’ve updated my controller & that still didn’t help. I’ve even tried a different controller & it still won’t work... & the headset works perfectly in other controllers, someone please help!!!

I’m having this problem also, headset did the same thing on my back up controller for about 5 seconds then detected. Only thing I can think is the port must be loose in some way.

I was just playing and using the headset perfectly fine then it randomly comes up with that message and the mute light won't go off and it didn't work when I tried a different controller. I haven't had Xbox live in a long time and finally got it today and told a friend I'd talk and play and unless I can fix this I can't.

Most Helpful Answer

I had the same issue, I updated the firmware on the controller and then restart everything, this fixed the problem. The problem seems to be known to Microsoft as it's on the front page of their controller support area: https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/...

Instructions from site:

1 Sign in to Xbox Live on your Xbox One console and install the latest system update if prompted to do so.

2 If you have a stereo headset adapter, plug it into the bottom of your controller so it can also get updates.

3 If you're using a stereo headset adapter, plug in a headset (a headset must be plugged in so the adapter will turn on).

4 Press the Xbox button to open the guide.

5 Select System > Kinect & devices > Devices & accessories, and then select the controller you want to update.

6 Select Device info, select the Firmware version box, and then select Continue.

7 When the update is complete, you can update additional controllers.

They provide instructions on how to update via USB and PC if this doesn't work.

Hope this solves your issue!

Great advice! you just saved my son from having a meltdown, fixed his audio problem, thought I was going to have to buy another controller! Many thanks!

It's not the firmware or software, its the controller. I did all of this and it still won't read my new turtle beach headset. It's the little metal square inside that came loose. Now I have to buy my 27th controller. Can't Microsoft ever make something that actually works. I dropped this one once, and now it won't read the headset.

I'm having the same problem with a turtle beach headset

I'm also having this problem with the turtle beach headset

Same problem with the Turtle Beach Headset

Having same problem the controller is only 5 days old head phones worked fine then switched on and wouldn’t work Microsoft blamed headset brought another one and it didn’t now they blaming controller and want me to send it back with a 28 day turn around

I had the same problem... It has something to do with the multi-use port being broken... Has it always been that way or did it just start doing it? If it has always done that you have a faulty controller and if it's new you should be able to get a replacement from Xbox support.

Is this also true for the 3.5mm port. My sons just stopped detecting the mic

Like on the newer controllers?

P.S. Make sure the mic is on in the guide (double tap home and at the bottom there should be a settings area)

We have the Xbox One, and my son just recently started using the headset..he would get the cannot detect mic message on and off, and now it just says every time he tries to use a headset. We have tried going through the settings, tried multiple headsets, etc. I bought this bundle in either June/July, and it came with 2 controllers. Both controllers have this issue, so I am curious to know whether this is a common issue for this console. Very frustrating!!

Are you useing the 3.5mm headphone jack or the proprietary puck?

Im getting this alot too, ive heard its something to do with a little metal sqaure thingy in the port, it comes loose and stops the mics from being detected. Dont bother getting new mics over and over again, thats what i did, just get a new controller :)

can i fix the controller?

Omg thank u I was about to buy another headset for 70 dollars u saved me that because I hade a extra controller laying around the house

Holly cow I have about 8 controller since I have 3 Xbox ones and one of those is the X and other is the S and since the X just came out I couldn’t even make the headset to work coming out of the box .. so it ain’t the controller it has to be a software issue .... now just today 2-6-2018 I plugged in the headset again to one of the controllers that it was working and guess what it didn’t work .... 2-8 controllers can only make the headset work the rest are done but I said let me update this controllers for the 100th time with the headset plugged in just one more time.....and guess what “......it updated and now I have 4-8 controllers that can use the headset... now I haven’t updated the rest because I want to play NBA 2K but I will update on the other controllers if I ever find this thread again in my lifetime

I found it was the port where the headset goes where my son kept plugging the headset in and pulling it out. We had the same issue on 2 controller one was only 2 weeks old . I now make him leave the headset plugged in .

I recently read that the jack port only rests on the motherboard so it's loosing connection .

Ive made my son keep the head phones plugged in at all times. We don't use the rechargeable battery pack just normal batteries then there's no need to keep taking the jack in and out and so far we haven't had a problem . Julie bucknell

Adriel will be eternally grateful.