Announced on October 16, 2014, identifiable by the model number A1347 and EMC 2840.

Mac mini 2015 Dual hard Drive Possible?

Im planning on buying a Mac mini 2015 with 16GB of RAM, but i would really like to have dual internal Hard drives, is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Not two traditional 2.5" SATA drives, no.

The current generation minis don't have two internal SATA connections, like earlier generations. Instead, they have one SATA connection for a traditional 2.5" drive and one PCIe slot for a large solid-state flash storage. Depending on what you order, you'll either get:

• one SATA drive (500GB/1TB 5400 rpm platter drive)
  • one PCIe card (256/512/1TB SSD flash storage)
  • one SATA drive + one PCIe card (1TB 5400 rpm platter drive + 128GB PCIe card = 1TB Fusion Drive)

The PCIe bus is much faster than the SATA bus*, so data transfer to/from the SSD is faster. The downside is, we've lost the ability to easily swap drives in and out. Although the PCIe interface is standardized, Apple is using special firmware on the SSDs using that socket; you can't just buy a generic SSD card and expect it to work, and you can't plug a traditional SATA drive into the connector. The price of progress...

If you're looking to get the most space available without losing speed, I recommend ordering the 1TB Fusion Drive. It automatically/dynamically stores the data you use most frequently in the SSD section, and pushes the data used less often to the slower mechanical SATA drive. Then, if you need more storage, you can offload to an external USB 3 or Thunderbolt drive.

*EDIT: And of course, flash storage is much faster than platter drive storage. I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

Slight correction the SSD slot is called M.2 and the method of I/O is PCIe. Otherwise adlerpe is spot on!

I don't have one of these myself, but looking at the HD replacement guide Mac Mini Late 2014 Hard Drive Replacement it appears that it will support Flash storage + HDD, but there aren't mounting brackets where the flash storage would go to permit a second HDD.

Not sure how they're doing it, but OWC is coming out with a kit soon that will allow 2x SSDs inside the 2014/2015 Mac Minis.

I think all there doing is selling their blade SSD now that they have tested it and made any needed tweaks. I'll bet they'll also offer some more iMac options too!

Eduardo will be eternally grateful.