Announced on October 16, 2014, identifiable by the model number A1347 and EMC 2840.

Mac mini 2015 Dual hard Drive Possible?

Im planning on buying a Mac mini 2015 with 16GB of RAM, but i would really like to have dual internal Hard drives, is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Not two traditional 2.5" SATA drives, no.

The current generation minis don't have two internal SATA connections, like earlier generations. Instead, they have one SATA connection for a traditional 2.5" drive and one PCIe slot for a large solid-state flash storage. Depending on what you order, you'll either get:

• one SATA drive (500GB/1TB 5400 rpm platter drive)
  • one PCIe card (256/512/1TB SSD flash storage)
  • one SATA drive + one PCIe card (1TB 5400 rpm platter drive + 128GB PCIe card = 1TB Fusion Drive)

The PCIe bus is much faster than the SATA bus*, so data transfer to/from the SSD is faster. The downside is, we've lost the ability to easily swap drives in and out. Although the PCIe interface is standardized, Apple is using special firmware on the SSDs using that socket; you can't just buy a generic SSD card and expect it to work, and you can't plug a traditional SATA drive into the connector. The price of progress...

If you're looking to get the most space available without losing speed, I recommend ordering the 1TB Fusion Drive. It automatically/dynamically stores the data you use most frequently in the SSD section, and pushes the data used less often to the slower mechanical SATA drive. Then, if you need more storage, you can offload to an external USB 3 or Thunderbolt drive.

*EDIT: And of course, flash storage is much faster than platter drive storage. I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

Slight correction the SSD slot is called M.2 and the method of I/O is PCIe. Otherwise adlerpe is spot on!

I don´t think the question was answered directly.

Can the mac mini 2014 have 2 independent hard drives? This means that they won't work in fusion mode... I basicly decide what I want to have in the ssd and in the hdd....

If I understand you correctly, then I think the answer is yes. You can format the SSD and the HD either as a Fusion Drive or as two separate volumes using Disk Utility. As I recall, SSD+HD in a mini automatically comes formatted as a Fusion Drive; if you want to reformat as two distinct drives/volumes, you would boot off an external drive, reformat as two separate drives using Disk Utility, then install a new OS on one of the bare volumes.

I don't have one of these myself, but looking at the HD replacement guide Mac Mini Late 2014 Hard Drive Replacement it appears that it will support Flash storage + HDD, but there aren't mounting brackets where the flash storage would go to permit a second HDD.

Not sure how they're doing it, but OWC is coming out with a kit soon that will allow 2x SSDs inside the 2014/2015 Mac Minis.

I think all there doing is selling their blade SSD now that they have tested it and made any needed tweaks. I'll bet they'll also offer some more iMac options too!

How about removing the PCIe Wireless card and replacing that with a second PCIe SSD ?

Would this be possible ?

I never use wireless or bluetooth on my Mac mini's as they are all accessed via Remote Desktop.

Eduardo, if your're referring to the latest Mac Mini version, bear in mind that it is the Late-2014 model -there is no 2015/16/17 version-.

You can refer to my thread, there I mention the exact config I'm using to add a standard (non-Apple branded, nor used) new PCIe SSD drive, to the factory HDD: PCIe SSD on Mini Late 2014

Regards!

I'm curious about the opposite of this.

If I buy a 2014 Mac mini new from Apple with only a 256 GB SSD installed, will I be able to open it up and toss a hard drive in the empty hard drive bay?

In the past (2012 mini), you've needed a kit that consisted of just a cable, and some mounting screws & grommets.

What is needed with the current Mac mini? Or does it come with the cables and grommets ready to go?

Eduardo will be eternally grateful.