Repair guides for machines designed to move slowly and get big jobs done, including farm vehicles and construction vehicles designed for specialty tasks.

Starting a small Massey Ferguson farm tractor?

My small Massey Ferguson tractor has died. The battery is charged up, the electrical doesn't appear to be damaged, the starter seems to be okay, I have removed and cleaned the ignition switch, but nothing causes the starter to turn over. Next step seems to be to replace the ignition switch. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

did you check the solenoid? Try to get the starter to engage by following this rather crude, but effective video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpPOcO6f... . Make sure your tractor is in neutral. To further diagnose, it might also help if you give us the model of your MF tractor. Just to make sure that there are no additional safety switches that may have failed.

Thanks. It's a MF 1428v with a front bucket.

Did you figure out your issue? I have the same symptoms

I have a GC2310, I had to replace the IGN switch because MF thought it would be a good idea to enclose it in a rain-gathering device. With the wiring diagram included in the owners manual and a jumper wire you should be able to confirm or rule out the IGN switch. If that's not it, then it must be one of the million or so safety switches - make sure all transmissions and PTOs are in neutral and an ass in in the driver's seat, etc.

Have you checked earth connections and fuses in the starter circuit?

You can try to check the oil pressure.

geodes2 will be eternally grateful.