The Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01US laptop features an 11.6" screen and a 16 GB SSD hard drive. This small notebook computer allows for easy access to the Internet and can run various web apps.

How can I reset a managed chrome book back to factory

Hello, I purchased a chrome book off of ebay with a cracked screen , after replacing the screen and booting the device i found that it was a managed device ive tried several ways of rebooting , power wash even reinstalling the operating system with no avail ..

Any tricks to return it to factory ??

How can I reset a Samsung Chromebook from school model xe503c12-k01us

You can but it evolves changing the serial number internally. Follow the following steps exactly how I post them.

BEFORE you put the Chromebook into developer mode, the Read/Write screw AND sticker must be removed from the motherboard. See pictures below.

Picture 3.1

Picture 3.2

Once the Read/Write sticker is removed placed the bottom plate on, but do not screw it down, it has a higher success rate without the screws of the bottom plate screwed in, and just in case you have to get back to the motherboard and re-clean the copper. Continue to the next page and follow the steps in order to change the Serial Number of the Device.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Get to developer mode: Chromebook XE303C12

On this device, both the recovery button and the dev-switch have been virtualized. Our partners don't really like physical switches - they cost money, take up space on the motherboard, and require holes in the case.

To invoke Recovery mode:

Plug the DC Power in

Hold down the Esc + Reload icon + Power until the display turns on then release.

At the screen that says the “Chrome OS is missing or damaged”, press Ctrl + D then Enter.

At the screen that says “Chrome OS verification is turned off”, press Ctrl + D, the device will restart and progress into developer mode.

If it does not let you past this step saying the administrator has blocked developer mode. Remove the battery and the ac power cord from the device and press and hold the power button for 30secs, then plug the ac cord in only and try again, it should bypass the admin block.

Do not touch or do anything for 9-15 minutes until it progresses back to the “Chrome OS verification is turned off” screen, then press Ctrl + D

Wait until the device boots to the Chrome start screen, Press Ctrl + Alt + → (Ctrl-Alt-F2)

Once in the command prompt continue to the next page, if not in a command prompt retry the above steps.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Once in developer mode: Chromebook XE303C12

Type as shown below, if it’s Capital leave it Capital, if its lowercase leave it lowercase. Spaces are important make sure if there is a space you type it in the terminal.

Type: chronos

Press Enter

Type: sudo su

Space after “sudo”.

Press Enter

Type: vpd -l (lowercase L)

Space after “vpd”.

Once you type vpd -l, this will display the current motherboards information including the motherboards current serial number.

Press Enter

Type: vpd -s “serial_number”=”0000000000X”

Space after “vpd”, Space after “-s”.

The Product S/N will be the Serial Number with the last letter. Make sure the serial number is CAPITAL letters.

Press Enter

Type: vpd -s “Product_S/N”=”0000000000”

Space after “vpd”, Space after “-s”.

The Product S/N will be the Serial Number without the last letter. Make sure the serial number is CAPITAL letters.

Press Enter

If flashromPartialWrite() error displays go back to the Read/Write Copper where you have removed the sticker and re-clean the area with alcohol and try again. Make sure you shut down the chromebook and remove the battery before cleaning.

Type: dump_vpd_log --force

Space after “dump_vpd_log”.

Press Enter

Type: dump_vpd_log --full --stdout

Space after “dump_vpd_log”, Space after “--full”.

Press Enter

You can now type “vpd -l” then Enter to verify that the serial number has changed.

Once the S/N change has been verified

Press F3 + Power

This will reboot the system back to the screen that says, “Chrome OS verification turned off”

Press the Spacebar to re-enable the Chrome OS Verification.

Press Enter to restart the system.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

This will allow you to use the chromebook like normal. It shouldnt cause any issues, but if it does let me know.

How would I do this for the Acer C740? I can't find the read/write copper.

How do I do this for a dell chrome book

Thank you sooo much! It worked on my Lenovo ThinkPad 11e Chromebook

I cant access terminal or anything my school has it locked down could Eric Tribble email me kingm1738@gmail.com

for me i just put it in developer mode i am quite sure it worked

just do this

Press and hold the Esc and Refresh keys together, then press the Power button (while still holding the other two keys). ...

As soon as you see Recovery Mode pop up—the screen with the yellow exclamation point—press Ctrl+D. ...

Press Enter to continue, then give it some time.

OK I am pretty sure this is how I did it.

1. Press and hold the Esc and Refresh keys together, then press the Power button (while still holding the other two keys). ...

2. As soon as you see Recovery Mode pop up—the screen with the yellow exclamation point—press Ctrl+D. ...

3. Press Enter to continue, then give it some time.

Success! It actually worked!

I'm getting flashromPartialWrite() in a HP 14 :( can help me! :)

Hey there bud, all you have to do is get 90% isopropyl alcohol, clean the area where you removed the write-protect screw, and try again. Sorry to hear you had an error.

Hey there guys.

I hate to break this to you all, but this is nearly impossible. I'm stuck in the exact same situation on a Lenovo Thinkpad 11e Chromebook running Chrome OS 61 Stable-Release (which I'm currently typing this response on).

Let me give you some knowledge that I've picked up during my tournament to attempt to gain victory against the Enterprise Admin of my school district:

1) I have bypassed enrollment before...three or four times. It did involve doing exactly what Eric Tribble did (only without me removing the write-protect screw because I honestly don't know where the !&&* it is on my Chromebook).

2) Now, with the completely new device they gave me (same make and model), I can't bypass enrollment for the life of me. If you refer to chrome://policy on an enterprise enrolled device, you'll see the many policies that your Enterprise Admin has set for you.

3) This is the ass kicker of them all...all those policies I just mentioned AREN'T tied to the firmware, the BIOS, or any of that (well they are but you'll see what I mean). They're all tied to your serial number. When you reset your Chromebook, go through the GUI Setup process, and right before the enrollment screen you see "Determining device configuration"...that's Google checking in with it's servers to see if your device is managed by a domain. So that's really hard to bypass. I can give you all a few extra suggestions to try, but don't get your hopes up. It's also just a policy called "Forced Re-Enroll" in the Admin Console. These things have security tighter than a bug's ass, but I guess that's why all of our G Suite admins are laughing at us right now, me included.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Shut down the device, disconnect DC Power, open up the back of your Chromebook using a Phillips Head Screwdriver, locate the battery, and disconnect it from the motherboard. If your policies aren't as strict, you'll need to wait about 25-30 minutes. This allows the BIOS/UEFI/CMOS chips to clear, and the capacitors on the motherboard to drain since they're not receiving any power from the local main battery. After the allotted amount of time (or even after), plug in the DC Power ONLY. Proceed to press ESC+REFRESH+POWER, hit Ctrl+D at the "Chrome OS Is Missing or Damaged" screen, press enter to be delivered to a screen that states "OS Verification is OFF", hit Ctrl+D again or wait thirty seconds to transition to Developer Mode. If you were successful, refer to step three. If you were unsuccessful, refer to step two.

2) If you failed to achieve Developer Mode because the foul Administrator blocked it, unplug DC Power to kill all power to your computer again, and press the power button for 60-75 seconds, increasing it by 5-7 seconds per time as needed. This should bypass the Admin block by further draining those capacitors and the BIOS/UEFI/CMOS chips.

3) If you succeeded in reaching Developer Mode, great job! You defeated the foul Admin. Refer to Eric Tribble's post on changing the internal MLB_SERIAL_NUMBER and the SERIAL_NUMBER.

4) Sorry for the long post, I just enjoy sharing the knowledge I have, especially against foul Enterprise/Domain G Suite Admins.

5) If you have any questions, or want to tell me if it did/didn't work, please email me at obrienk216@gmail.com

I hope that this helps at least one person defeat their disgustingly foul G Suite Admin. Good luck and let the hacking gods be with you.

Hey there. Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I think my last one got deleted because I had to create an account. I have an HP Chromebook 14 G4 that was issued by my last job. I'm allowed to keep this one, but with enrollment it does me no good because I no longer have the token key from the little device they gave me 2 login. Also, it's very limited as to what you can install so I'm trying to wipe it. I was able to get through all of these steps including developer mode and confirm the product serial number changed. The device is still managed however. I think I may have chosen the wrong screw possibly? I also did not see a sticker around the copper, only a circle of silver dots on it. It almost looks like Braille. the Skrill remove was the only one that had a copper plate that was parsed in different sections. After looking at diagrams online I did not find a picture that looked anything like the inside of this laptop. Thoughts?

Please help me, i cannot to change Product S/N on my samsung chromebook 303. "{ERROR} VPD key name does not allow char {/}."

dgibson2550 will be eternally grateful.