Released October 2008 / 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8 or 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor

Optical Drive Broken. Can I just remove it?

Hi! I have a 15" Macbook Pro and it's heavy! I carry it around to work and such. The optical drive is broken and I have no intention of fixing it. Can I just remove it to make the macbook lighter? Will it make a difference? It seems like it would be one of the heaviest components.

Jaya

Most Helpful Answer

It won't make it much lighter. Battery and screen assembly account for a bulk of the weight.

But, it will make the machine stop making those annoying noises out of the blue. By all means, junk it!

If you want to make your machine feel modern and not broken anymore, you could get a cheap $90 SSD and put your hard drive where the optical drive is - you'd retain all the storage space you have now and have a machine that is lightyears faster. Just options. :-)

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna save up for a 2012 i7 8g RAM 13 inch. They're a pound lighter too, lol. Thanks!

I'd love to get a Retina. They are really light and fast, but I'd want a 16g RAM and it's way out of my budget. Since they are not upgradeable, It would be a while before I could buy one with 16g right off the bat. Nice thing about the older ones is I can buy one for 500 or 600 and when I'm ready throw in a 16g RAM, then a SSD in the Optical Drive area. That's the plan currently. Thanks!

jayalovevibes will be eternally grateful.