Released October 2012, ASIN: B002VLZSX0, Model Number: 260

Boiled water tastes like chemicals

When I boil water in the kettle, it comes out smelling and tasting like chemicals. Is this bad? Is there any way to get rid of it? Does it go away over time?

We have had this problem with many new jugs . I believe I have the answer now .

To a half filled jug of warm water, add a desert spoon of "Jif " , an abrasive cleaner. Leave for 10mins or so . Scrub inside of jug thoroughly with dish wash brush or similar , including underside of lid .

Discard contents, and refill and boil, discard several times . .

If water does taste better, but not good enough, repeat Jif process. .

I wish I knew about this process years ago ...

I have tried suggested solutions jif and vinegar. Worked for a couple of boils the same problem again. I have never wasted so much coffee and tea. Should I return this kettle. No problem when I use a sauce pan.

Sorry to hear your jug still has bad taste. The Jif thing worked for a couple of jugs I got . Did you scrub it out when water and Jif was hot/warm a couple of times ? If still bad taste I guess you done your best , and return it ....

Fill the kettle with water add bicarb and boil it leave over night then empty it and fill the kettle again and reboil and empty again. The taste is the chlorine in the water reacting to the plastic and rubber seals. There is nothing wrong with your kettle at all. NEVER USE HOUSE HOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS IN ANYTHING FOR BOILING OR COOKING FOOD.

DO NOT listen to the idiot who wrote on here to use jif cleaner in a new kettle what a fool this person is jif is a cleaning chemical and its poisonous so dont do it to get rid of that new kettle chemical taste fill the kettle 3/4 full then boil it then add 2 table spoons of baking soda leave it to stand over night now through out the old water fill it up with fresh water to the highest level then boil the kettle 2 or 3 times to get rid of the baking soda residue

The chemical taste and smell is a common byproduct of the kettle due to the manufacturing process. However, there is a simple way to take care of your problem.

To remove the chemical smell and taste, boil vinegar mixed with water in the kettle. After the mixture comes to a boil, allow it to sit for 3 minutes before pouring out the mixture. Repeat the process with water several times to remove the vinegar smell. The smell should go away with repeated use.

I did the vinegar fix and it worked then but failed again in with the next pot.

For any other problems, please visit our troubleshooting page here: Capresso Perfectea 260 Troubleshooting Page

I have isolated this to the type of plastic that is used in the kettle.

Our previous plastic kettle (Hinari) made an excellent cup of tea with no smell of chlorine or plastic.

Our new kettle (Tristar) is awful in this respect.

I have proved that it is nothing to do with the water. I have use filtered (Brita) and also mineral water in my new kettle and both water types do not solve the problem.

Boiling the water in a saucepan eliminates the bad taste and smell immediately

Solution : Buy an all-metal kettle (not so easy to find)

Dont ask me what type as I am just starting my search.

Happy hunting

Phil Collins

Metal kettle from Tesco with a filter which does not taste your tea. I had a problem with plastic kettles and plastic filters until I found this kettle which I have been using for years now with no

With no problem at all

To a half filled jug of warm water, add a desert spoon of "Jif " , an abrasive white creamy cleaner. Leave for 10mins or so . Scrub inside of jug thoroughly with dish wash brush or similar , including underside of lid .

Kenji Anzai will be eternally grateful.