Released in August 2014, the Lenovo Y50-70 Touch is part of the Lenovo's Y series of laptops. Equipped with a dedicated graphics card and a 15.6" touch screen, the Y50-70 Touch is specialized for gaming.

Lenovo Y50 Hinge Issue

I've owned a Lenovo Y50-70 Touch Notebook for about 5 months and have had no hardware issues until now. My hinge is falling apart, and a quick google search shows that this is a common issue with the laptop and usually occurs in a similar period of time. I'm now to afraid to open and close the notebook. Is there a fix that can be made?

UPDATE: After 5 months of my laptop sitting at my desk without the hinge moving at all, I was able to repair it myself. The fix requires removing the bottom bezel and the LCD (remembering to remove screws at the bottom, and being careful not to tug the wires) to access the point at which the lid of the laptop is mounted onto the left hinge. You should find that the plate which the hinge is fastened to has broken from the laptop lid. This is a result of a manufacturing error in which the left hinge was tightened too much, and could not withstand the excessive strain from an over-tightened hinge.

To fix this, you first need to loosen the hinge between 1/4 turn and 1/2 turn, with a 7mm socket. You should also detach the mounting plate from the hinge by unscrewing the mounting screws before you reattach the plate to the laptop lid. To reattach the plate back to the laptop lid, I used a two part epoxy. Now you should be able to screw the hinge back onto the plate, and then place your LCD back in place.

Had same issue had computer less than a year Lenovo denied the warranty because the hens cracked the screen I paid $250 twice to You Break I Fix It they denied the warranty after I broke a second time I hope Lenovo goes out of business I hate this computer company they totally screwed us with a defective product that should have never been sold to anyone in the first place and their warranty and customer service is the worst ever

Hundreds, if not thousands of Lenovo laptop owners have had the same problem. No help from Lenovo, too costly to repair or get parts. They KNOW the hinges are too tight, so it's appalling that the problem still exists. Mine (S510p touch), like most others, has never been dropped or picked up from lid & treated gently. Even taping it up does not prevent further cracking of lid front & back. Horrible craftsmanship & design. They have surely lost many customers. It's shame because otherwise I loved the laptop

I hope Lenovo is seeing all of these comments. When my Y-50 touchscreen gaming laptop's cover cracked, that was the time I remembered why I never deviated from HP & Dell. You're a pain, Lenovo! And you are not taking steps in placating all those who spent hard-earned money just to buy your product.

same here - had a yoga 700-11 for six months and the left hinge broke. Piece of crap, wish I had enough money for an Apple

I had this same problem, but after 1.5 years of daily use (never been dropped). My solution is a little ghetto, but works. I drilled two 2.9mm holes where the two missing hinge screws previously attached; right through the aluminum case of the laptop. Then I popped everything back into place and secured the hinge to the lid by thru-bolting with two M3 screws, locwashers and nuts. I used 10mm long screws that I had on hand, but 8mm would have been better.

In my post update, I used epoxy cement, which eventually broke a couple weeks ago. The fix lasted about 7 months before the glue lost its bonding. This mechanical fastening is exactly what I did, albeit i had the screws facing inwards. The aluminium backing was surprisingly difficult to drill through, even with a cord-drill. The fix works and definitely feels sturdy. If you value your laptop's hinge function more than you care about the look of the protruding screws, then this is most definitely the best fix!

I didn't find this until after I fixed it in a very similar way. I only used one screw but your 2 look great! unscrewing the nut 1/3 of a turn has really fixed the screen from trying to rip the hinge off the body of the computer. I have a laptop again! BestBuy wanted $900 to fix it and all it took was a machine screw, washer, and nut. I did have to grind the washer I put under the head of the flat head screw so it would fit the spot. great pictures!

just to be more clear, you don't need to take the bottom off the laptop- just pry the black panel (bezel?) that is below the LED off from the screen. 2 flaps on left and right and then the curvy part that moves with the screen just forward of the keyboard. Once that is off, you can see the 7mm nuts that need to be loosened. they look very inaccessible but using a standard 7mm socket and small rachet with an extender, I was able to loosen the nut 1/3 to 1/2 a turn. Wish I'd put in 2 screws through the aluminum case

but this is working.

Just performed this repair for a friend. Thanks @joymonkey

While you have it open , reglue the broken off screw attachement posts , but also also reinforce all the screw posts on the mid frame with a little Gorilla glue. Once one post breaks, extra stress is placed on the remaining posts which break over time with routine use.

Adjust the left hinge nut so it is not so tight.

Lenovo is a cheap product for cheap people. I used to be cheap myself and so had to learn my lesson the hard way. Do not expect high quality from Lenovo.

"Don't Get Done, Get Dom!"

Google it!

I've had the same issue guys.

I feel like crying.

I spent £1000 on this laptop, that's my entire months wage!

I was skint but I treated myself because I can't often afford to and thought this is my treat for a few years, well within months the hinge broke.

Anyone know a good class action attorney?

Class action suit -yes. This happened to my Lenovo; one day the sound of right hinge creaking then just crumbling apart?

Lenovo knew this was a bad design. Hinge metal to plastic against high leverage torque way beyond design limits.

Class action suit; Lenovo knew after time the heat would wear on the plastic, become brittle and fail. The fact that it can not be repaired is even more discerning.

Lenovo built a great name I'm ashamed I ever promoted their laptops.

Only repair would be to physically bolt through the laptop metal cover. Hey Lenovo that looks great what a conversation piece? ??

Don't waste your time with epoxies, glue gun it will not work I've test both methods. The only way it will work given the torque of hinge mechanism, plastic anchor points against laptop cover leverage is to anchor metal bracket through laptop cover steel.

Lenovo shame on you ! Are your engineers children? (making it so easy for Apple to laugh at you)

Question what action will Lenovo take in good faith before being forced to take action and loosing your entire customer base? Buy Dell the lid was designed to fold all the way back to tablet mode!

Bee Solomona will be eternally grateful.