HD action camera with touchscreen LCD, released October 5, 2014.

Salt water damage repair

Accidentally had the open back on my new Hero4 Silver edition camera. Quickly as I could, I rinsed it off with fresh water. Later put it in rice with the battery and sd card removed for a day and half. Most of the camera functions seem to be back, except it won't use the SD cards, keeps coming up with an SD card error. Is there any way to get the camera repaired?

I found Peau Productions online. They offer repair services and lens modification for GoPro cameras. Cost me shipping, $20 for basic repair and diagnostics, $14 for a replacement power board. Good as new for under $60. http://www.peauproductions.com/store/

They verified the problem, repaired it, and, had it back in the mail the same day.

Most Helpful Answer

Here's a cut&paste from my answer to a similar question. Basically, I would try everything below and replace the expansion port board if necessary, and if you can find it online somewhere. Since the Hero4 is relatively new, you may have a hard time finding the part.

This may be a little late for you, but I recently had saltwater damage on my GoPro Hero 3. I went (saltwater) snorkeling for 2 hours without the waterproof case. Here's what I did to fix it.

Remove the battery, back panel and side panel. As soon as possible, soak it in fresh water for a day, refreshing the water several times. Then soak it for a few hours or overnight in isopropyl alcohol. If there are any stickers inside the battery compartment or elsewhere that begin to peel/bubble and you care about keeping them intact, remove from the alcohol bath before they get too far gone. After removing from the alcohol bath, dry the best you can and use ifixit's guide to take it apart (buy the necessary tools if you need to). Take off the cover (pry) and remove the main assembly (4 screws). Use white vinegar applied with an acid or small paint brush to clean all visible electronics, contacts, and ports. Briefly rinse with water, then alcohol, using a clean acid brush to again clean out the ports. Use compressed air (or hair dryer w/out heat) to completely dry it.

Doing the above got the camera working again, but it wouldn't read any microSD cards, so I replaced the accessory board (as the ifixit teardown calls it) or expansion port board (as ifixit parts replacement calls it). This is the board with the microSD card slot, USB and HDMI ports, and expansion (LCD display) port. This part was $15 at ifixit - luckily they had the replacement part for the Hero3 in stock (it was used, but still worked).

what if i just dunked it in salt water once and then put it in rice, would i still work like after a day

your advice to soak it in ISOpropyl alcohol destroyed my camera in only 1 hour... F@ck you and your malice advice

Well, your camera was probably already dead. The advice to soak in an alcohol bath wasn't mine alone, I got it from various other sources including ifixit. Here's one of many:

http://www.smartmobilephonesolutions.com...

Sorry it did not work for you.

did it work?

Yes but the back lcd screen is not functioning!

Pretty sure my GoPro Hero 3+ Black is destroyed. I dunked it for a second or two in saltwater in the late morning, thinking I had the correct submersible back cover on my on housing but didn't. Stupidly, I didn't think to remove the battery immediately and rinse with freshwater or anything. I let it sit to "dry" for the rest of the day and several hours later tried putting a different battery in to see what would happen. The red light came on as soon as I put the battery in so I took it out and let it sit. Later that night, I rinsed it in freshwater, took it apart via partial teardown and used alcohol and vinegar to clean out the corrosion that had built up. It didn't look too bad and I think I got all the corrosion out, but I'm pretty sure it was too far gone at that point. I threw everything in a bag of rice and let it dry a couple days, then put enough of it back together to try powering on with a battery - no go. So I took it all apart *again* with a complete teardown and used alcohol to scrub/brush more thoroughly - I think I got most everything out the first time around but just wanted to give it a shot. I put everything back together just now and it's completely dead. Can't believe I was so boneheaded....arghh... definitely an expensive mistake :(

rjames98697 will be eternally grateful.