The Motorola Moto G, model XT1064, is the 2014 successor to the Moto G, equipped with a 5-inch 720p display and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor. It is Motorola's attempt at making an affordable smartphone.

Is it easier to only replace the lcd or the whole frame?

Hi everyone,

The screen of my Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen) is cracked so I would like to remplace it but I don't know of it is easier/safer to only change the lcd + the glass lens (ex: Digitizer) or to change the whole front frame (ex: [frame).

Someone could help me with that? Thanks!

Most Helpful Answer

The easiest repair would be to buy the display already installed in the frame. Installing the display in your existing frame would require some adhesive work which is not to difficult but requires more time than just swapping the display that's already adhered to the frame. Also if the existing frame is dinged up or bent it may be hard to seat a new display in the old frame correctly.

See Moto G2 screen replacement guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cohYFqRj... . It seems no difficult to replace LCD screen directly.

I tried to replace only the top glass layer but I was not successful. In the end, I had to buy the whole upper part of the frame, so I would not call it easy.

But it was my first attempt and I did not have a heat gun but used a hair dryer instead. This clearly did not produce enough heat.

If you try it, make sure to get your equipment right.

Hello i recommend if you are not experienced to change the entire frame instead of the glass. I did it once but change the glass and it is quite tricky removing it, specially if glass is cracked. I managed to replace it with a new glass i carefully removed of a same model non working phone

Yidir Ammache will be eternally grateful.