Thick black stripe on iMac screen after attempting HDD to SSD swap

I swapped my 27" iMac Late 2013's HDD to Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD. Original aim is successful and the iMac is blazing fast now.

But while trying to close the iMac screen, all adhesives lined up, I connected the display's power cable and ribbon cable. Mistakenly, I lifted the display while trying to align bottom and ouch....the ribbon cable (vsync cable??) pulled out from its connector argh.....

I connected it back and closed the iMac. When I powered up there was a green vertical line (which was gone after a min) and the gray/black thick stripe about 1.5inch wide. This stripe stays all the time from boot to shutdown.

Tried SMC reset, PRAM reset... no luck.

I doubt the ribbon cable damage (is it vsync cable)...now I'm skeptical to reopen to play around without knowing what could be the issue.

Many questions on my mind....did I damage the display? Is the ribbon cable replaceable (I tried googling for spare part couldn't find a proper lead)?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Hi have you fix this problem?

Nope, I tried with a new display ribbon cable, didn't work.

I think the only option left is to replace the display...need to take it Apple :(

This is ridiculous. The display couldn't possibly have been damaged by replacing a HDD. The CABLE might have been damaged--or the connectors on either side of the cable, but to replace the entire display was just throwing money away.

The issue is not the HD cable!

In order to open the system you need to take the display assembly off. Thats the issue!

Just the act of taking off the display can damage it if you don't use the correct tools and not force things. Trust me! I killed two!

What happens is the tab connections within the sandwich of the display assembly get damaged when you pry the display off (over stressing the connections). What you are seeing is the black bar/s are the disconnected traces within the glass of the LCD.

A very expensive mistake!

Once the display is off it's a cake walk to get to the HD!

Take a look at this question I suspect you have the same issue: I've got vertical lines on my iMac 27" screen.

Thanks Dan, I still hope its a bad connector - planning to re-open once I get new adhesive sets.

If that doesn't work time to call up the service centre :(

yep, display damaged - have to order a replacement

this is the model number: iMac 27" LCD Glass Display Panel LM270WQ1(SD)(F2) 661-7885 (Late 2013) : Grade A.

Question for you Dan, the expert: if I replace QHD with retina 5K display- will it work? I know its silly but hoping to upgrade with the damage :)

Sadly I don't think you can upgrade the display. By just reviewing the IFIXIT display teardown here: iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display Teardown the displays are very different.

ordered a replacement display from www.apple4less.com (350euros including shipping) and got it in hand.

Awaiting for the adhesive strips from ifixit.

Will attempt to fix this weekend and update the results.

=== Update (09/12/2015) ===

Finally fixed the expensive mistake :)

Highly recommend www.apple4less.com, I paid half the price quoted by Apple Authorized repair shop in Dubai. Got the item within 5 days with standard shipping.

http://store.apple4less.com/ProductDetai...

Also the iFixit adhesive strips and the removal tool are a must have!

iMac Intel 21.5" (2012-2017) Adhesive Strips

Exactly the same problem with me.

No way to repair this? I´ve taken all the extra cares doing this, still encountered the same problem... :(

When plugging it back, a black bar on the right side...

Any suggestions?

Sorry guy, the display is toast ;-{

In the process of removing it you pressed a little to deep or twisted the tool so it over stressed the LCD electrical connections (TAB's) which then tie into the controller logic on the back of the display and then via the ribbon cable to your logic board. Its not repairable.

Using the IFIXIT tools makes this less likely but even still you can still mess up.

autodubai will be eternally grateful.