What is the purpose of the headphone jack interconnect cable?

While replacing the lightning port, i accidentally ripped the small cable on the left side of the headphone jack. I researched it and it is called a headphone interconnect cable. iPhone 5s Headphone Jack Interconnect Cable. Is it of any importance? what does it do? and can go without it?

iPhone 5s Headphone Jack Interconnect Cable Image

All it does is connect the headphone jack to the rest of the machine. If you have no plans on using the jack, then don't replace it.

The audio/video marketplace is considered confusing by many due to interchangeable terms and extensive use of acronyms. One such source of needless confusion is the differentiation between the terms "cable" and "interconnect." Although they often mean the same thing, sometimes they do not.

No you are wrong, this thing is part of the antenna system.

This is part of the antenna system. Without it you may experience small reception issues.

I just did the same and am trying to find a cheaper replacement part. My guess is that it allows you to use the headphone jack.

Joseph will be eternally grateful.