Nintendo Wii

Released in North America in November 2006.

My Wii power light is red

When I plug my Wii in the light shows red but when I push the power button the light goes out and the blue light where the disc flashes on for a second, then shows no power. I can unplug it and the red light will come back on but as soon as I hit the power or restart button it goes back out and shows no power. Can some one help me

Was the Wii modified at all? Modchips and the such?

by Miroslav Djuric

Most Helpful Answer

The Wii red light means that the console is completely off, whereas a yellow light would indicate standby mode. From a quick internet search:

Green light = Console power is on

Orange/yellow = Wiiconnect24 is on

Red = Wiiconnect24 is off

Wiiconnect24 is where your wii recieves data via wifi or lan while your console is on standby.

Your problem with the Wii powering on has nothing to do with the red light -- it's not like the Red Ring of Death on the Xbox 360...

The blue disc light should flash like it does. Try to troubleshoot the Wii and update your original post with more information if you can.

Your power supply is broken or there is an internal short inside the device; when you try to power it on, the power supply gets overloaded and the power LED goes out. It is unlikely to be the bluetooth module.

If you have soldered to the Wii, check for shorts near the area where you soldered. Otherwise, try a different power supply; if that doesn't fix it, take everything apart (including the metal shielding), put the main board on a non-conductive surface, and plug the power supply into it and try to turn it on. If that still fails in the same way, replace the main board. If it powers on to green, disconnect the power, start reassembling the device, and keep applying power until you identify the defective part.

We had a similar problem. (Red light/blue light flash on button press.) Ours was a completely unmodded Wii. We had left it plugged in but unused for an extended period. What we ended up doing was an extended reboot. Unplug the power adapter from the Wii *and* the wall and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then re-assemble the system and try starting it again. If, when you were trying to fix it, you didn't wait a long time then the console won't reset completely.

Found this similar description of the fix (there are a lot of ads, you'll have to go past some to see the process):

http://hubpages.com/hub/My-wii-wont-turn...

I figure the original poster is long since fixed, but this description sounds like something that comes up for a lot of people.

dude your bluetooth module is busted.

replace it with a part from dealextreme or similar and check the bluetooth guide in the wii page.

My Wii did the same thing as yours (power light went off, disc light flashed for a second, then off), replaced the bluetooth chip and all was well. You hve to resync your wiimotes afterwards, though

We have a Game Cube bongo drum that has some kind of short internally that causes exactly what is described in the original post. Unplugging the offending bongo controller fixes the problem.

So, this could be as simple as a defective peripheral plugged into your Wii. Always try unplugging everything from your Wii (even the sensor bar on the back) before jumping to to the conclusion that your Wii is dead.

Try using a different wall outlet, or plug a different device into the outlet to make sure the outlet is providing power.

Perform an AC Adapter Reset.

my son has a wii and as soon as you power it up the blue light around where you put the game is stays constantly on the fan in the back doesnt turn on.... what can i do to fix it or what is wrong with it

Hi. I actually enjoyed reading your writing!. Top notch written content. I might recommend you to submit articles a bit more frequently. This way, having such type of a useful site I think you could rank better in the search engines

blue emergency lights

same thing here except no blue light just red and the wii stops in the middle of the gamE. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This happened to me, Easily fixed by replacing the fuse

Wii red light going batty flashing like every 1/3rd of a second, and it will not turn on. I FIXED MINE BY UNPLUGGING EVERYTHNIG CARDS, CABLES, FROM EVERYWHERE, AND REMOVE SDCARDS ALSO, AND DISCS, BOTH GC & WII CARDS, SENSOR BAR PLUG, POWER Plug *ALL THAT'S PLUGGED OR INSERTED... Now i plugged everything back in ACCEPT Not Sensor PLUG To back of wii, then the light quit (This is after 4 min break all undone...) And then plugged the Sensor plug and THEN as i finally plugged in the POWER Plug I first held the SYNC red button on the Wii, and then plugged it in and WAH-LAH Isue Resolved Immediately, KUDOS for the hints Cheerz & Peace Love Banish Fear/ hate to not even give it thought in root thoughtfulness.!. www.fb.com/stanleydeanparker/

ok so right now I have a broken wii and theres no light on the wii but when

I plug it back it its cords it turned on with a red light on the power button

Im not precisely right but I think when the power button turns red its like charging

or something but I could be wrong

gledix58 will be eternally grateful.