The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. between the years of 2006 and 2013.

CPU A & B overheat

Someone brought in that MP 2,1(1186) ,2007; S/N:157192LMUPZ, that was shutting down randomly. The diagnose LEDs on the logic board say: CPU A&B overheat.

I took it apart, released it from that disgusting melange of nicotine and dust, gave it a fair layer of thermal compound.

Now the thing just reboots randomly, even in idle and the LEDs still say : overheat, although all fans are working.

Note: He bought it ' hacked '; its running Mavericks on a 256 GB SSD, with a ATI Radeon HD 8770 and it will not boot externally from either SL oder Lion, doesn't even accept target mode.

Scrapyard?

Apple Mac Pro "Eight Core" 3.0 (2,1) Specs

Identifiers: Mac Pro - BTO/CTO - MacPro2,1 - A1186 - 2138

Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.4.9 (8P4037) Maximum MacOS: X 10.7.5*

This machine usually requires the fan syncing software found on the original system installation disk after an overhaul. The hacked Mavericks may be some of the problem.

First get that installation disk.

Next, I disconnect the hard drive and see if it will boot from the DVD.

Address the problems one at at time. Run the AHT from the installation disk without the hard drive(s) connected. Use an old Serial ATA (3 Gb/s) hard drive and see if you can install a system. After you have a clean running machine you can look at putting the hacked drive back in.

I also take it back to the original RAM configuration using matching sticks if that has been altered.

This machine last sold on eBay for $300, so try not to spend two days working on it.

@ Mayer

Hi Mayer! Thanks for the comments. Found that it is RAM problem. Its runnig fine with the upper riser card and 3GB RAM. As soon as I insert the lower riser card with 4 GB, the trouble starts. So its to find out wich ones are zilched. Kind regards from Krautland

These machines were real picky about having identical RAM. Get the Apple configurator App from the APP Store for help on what goes where.

Alexander deLarge will be eternally grateful.