WD MyPassport external hard drive won't mount to my MacBook Pro

When I plug my external hard drive into my MacBook it flashes its white light and begins to stay solid, but doesn't show up on my desktop. I opened up disk utility and it said it was not mounted. I tried to repair the disk, but I got an error: File system verify or repair failed. Is there anything I can do?

Most Helpful Answer

Most of these drives can be changed to another external enclosure. I would get one that is self powered rather than USB pot powered.

So I should get a self powered external, and then back up my external that I have now on the self powered one?

You can try that or just get an external enclosure, transfer the hard drive and see if it works. That failing, drop a new drive in the new and/or old enclosures.

Hi, i have the exact same problem on a wd my passport 2tb drive formatted in hfs + (for mac). The wierd thing is that it mounts on windows 7 via bootcamp and paragon hfs + for windows ... So i think the problem comes from os x (yosemite for me) and i dont wanna reinstall everything.

I plugged the WD My Passport Ultra into my Window 8.* laptop and pulled up Windows Disk Management to ensure I had exFAT formatting and that the partition was ACTIVE. Corrected both, did a safe eject and plugged it back into the MacBook Pro and OSX 10.10 now mounts the drive. It works, try it.

Bryan Harris will be eternally grateful.