Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Why wont my Mac read the new hard drive I bought?

I ordered the 500 GB Hybrid 2.5" hard drive from iFixit and followed the manual exactly from the website and my mac still will not locate a disc to download the operating system. I've looked everywhere online and there are no clear descriptions. I have tried several different ways of trying to find the drive and I am starting to believe that taking the Macbook to an apple store would be a far better solution.

Did I receive a faulty drive?

How do I make the new one work?

If the problem isn't solved I intend to send the hard drive back for reimbursement.

The drive has to be formatted and a system installed on it. First please tell us the last four figures of your serial number so we know what machine you are trying to use it in. Did you try staring up with a hardwired internet connection (ethernet cable) holding down the "R" key?

DTY3, its a 13" mid 2012 MacBook Pro.

I haven't tried that. I did try to do it without the ethernet cable attached and the "R" command didn't do anything.

aphillips763 will be eternally grateful.