Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Why won't water dispenser and interior lights work on GE Refrigerator?

I have a GE PROFILE SERIES ENERGY STAR 22.1 CU. FT. COUNTER-DEPTH FRENCH-DOOR ICE AND WATER REFRIGERATOR BY GE APPLIANCES. Our refrigerator will dispense ice, but not water. Also, the interior lights in the refrigerator and freezer won't turn on when the doors are opened. We unplugged the unit last night and plugged it back in and it "reset" the refrigerator. Everything was working again, but then this morning the water again would not work and the lights inside would not turn on. We don't want to have to "reset" the fridge every 12 hours, so trying to figure out what the problem is. Going to have to call GE service, but we've heard bad things about them. Help!

Hi everybody!

My name is Johny Barker, i am an engineer. I like high-tech, with the best designed refrigerator for my house. Thank for this article, so helpful!

The same site:

http://thecounterdepthrefrigerator.com/f...

Check your manual for "Sabbath Mode"

Press and hold the light and lock buttons...i just figured it out if anyone ever has this problem with the 2 door bottom freezer model.

My front panel was completely dead, as was all the lights inside the refrigerator and freezer. The unit was cooling properly.

Holding down the light and lock buttons on the front panel, reset the unit.

Thanks cmccall31!

Glad to help Derek

My first bet would be the door switch:

Door Switch

If the refrigerator water dispenser is not working, the door switch might be defective. When the freezer door is opened the freezer door switch does two things, it turns on the light in the freezer and turns off the ice and water dispenser. If the door switch fails the dispenser will not turn on. The switch can be checked for continuity with an Ohm meter. If it doesn’t have continuity it should be replaced.

There are other things but your combination indicates the switch.

Thanks for the reply, we'll check that!

Hey, LEK, did this end up working? I am having the exact same issue with my frig. water and inside lights dont work but the ice does work

Hey LEK, just check back to see if you have fixed the issue. I don't think this is Sabbath mode, since ice dispenser still works. Just light and water.

Most Helpful Answer

I had same problem after my power blinked for just a moment. I went to electrical box & the circuit breaker had not tripped but I flipped it off & back on & now everything is back on. Hope this helps someone else.

This worked for me.

Same thing just happened to ours. We didn't notice any power interruption but the light and water dispenser stopped working. Per your suggestion. I reset the circuit breaker that was not tripped and it came back on. Hopefully if was just a fluke.

Thanks. That worked!!

Was in Sabbath Mode.....Held the lights and and lock buttons for a few seconds and it came back on...Thanks !! GE chat was no help...had no clue and suggested a service call.....Likely saved me a hundred bucks.....

Thanks for the tip. There was no problem with our breaker, but in checking, we found the fridge to be plugged into a GFI, and IT had tripped. I appreciate you nudging me in the right direction.

The light on the front are off,the lights in the refrigerator and freezer are out,and the ice maker or water don't work. I unplugged the refrigerator for ten mins. When I plugged it back in the lights on the front panel came and said SA then turn off.

Is this an answer or a question?

This happened to me....resolved to be "Sabbath mode" check manual and turn off. mine was accomplished by holding the lock and light buttons for 3 seconds...more $@$* to complicate our lives

Charles, that's exactly what was happening with my refrigerator. After scouring the Web for possible solutions, I finally stumbled upon your post. I saw Jim Malinowski's solution and tried it and he was exactly right. It's a "Sabbath" mode for the Jews (I'm not kidding). I won't try to explain it, because after Googling it I still don't understand it, but if you hold down the lock and light buttons at the same time for about three seconds it should fix it.

THANK YOU JIM MALINOWSKI!! YOU SAVED ME POSSIBLY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS BY NOT HAVING TO MAKE AN APPLIANCE SERVICE CALL!!

We were having the exact same issue. My husband went and flipped the circuit breaker and it started working again. Thank you so much for saving us the cost of a service call!

Hallelujah! The holding lock and light buttons trick worked!!!!!!!

on the back near the left bottom corner there r 2 plugs for the ice maker and water dispenser solenoids. make sure their plugged in. they could be bad too,pretty common

My water is probably frozen, but the light is definitely broken. When I changed the bulb only the filament went on. The hardest thing is trying to figure out how to take it apart. The manual doesn't show me how

My GE fridge model Dfe28jshdss on the display shows a red tringale and no display light.When I push the display buttons nothing happens.Commpressor works change back control board still no help.Any ideas

have exact same problem, any help?

I have a GE Cafe refrigerator and pressing the light and lock button didn't fix it. Lights don't turn on inside, the water dispenser does not work. If I press the water dispenser, the control panel seems to restart, I see flashing 00 on both of the temperature gauge's for the refrigerator and freezer.

I have the Maytag refrigerator Model MFI2568AEQ, and the display is not working, I have unplugged it and plugged it back in several times, and it still doesn't work.

Sabbath mode for jewish holiday s...peed and hold the light and lock button for 3 secs

My response is not an answer. I tried what was recommended by cmccall31 and that fixed my digital display and my interior light issue on my Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator. I really thought I was going to have to purchase a new motherboard or something like that. Your advice solved my problem. I just wanted to say thanks. Arthur

I have same issue and flipped cuircuit breaker on and off. Worked but fix is temporary. Keeps happening every few days.

LEK will be eternally grateful.