Repair guides and support for external portable storage by Western Digital including the My Book series, My Passport and others.

Hard drive is not showing up on my computer

I'm using Mac OSx Yosemite Version 10.10.2 and the last time i conntected my WD External Hard Drive was just 5 days ago and I disconnected correctly etc. So it wasn't till today that I reconnected it to my laptop and it doesn't show on my desktop. The light blinks on the hard drive and I hear it spinning but doesn't show on my desktop. I have important files in this drive. What can I do?

Was this ever solved I am having the same exact problem after plugging my wd external into a windows pc on accident . MacBook same version on Yosemite. Light blinks on hd but nothing shows up.

Same here... disc utility hangs on "Loading Discs".

Ugg. This is the worst. Same with me, the passport unit it's self seams to be working fine. Light is glowing, slight vibrating, but does not show on my computer at all.

There are a couple of possibilities here:

• The USB cable is bad - Try a different cable
  • The USB port you are using is bad - Try a different port on the system
  • The Drive needs more power than your port is able to offer - Try using a external powered USB hub or power supply for the drive
  • Try a second Mac system to see if it can access the drive.

Lastly, see if Apple's Drive Utility is able to see the drive. If it does try repairing it.

I went to best buy and bought a new cable and the one that the guy recommended was the "Insignia 4ft charge/sync cable" and i just connected and its till not appearing on my mac desktop. also the drive does show on the disk utility.

When I clicked "Verify Disk" it said this:

Verifying partition map for “WD My Passport 070A Media”Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsChecking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsThe partition map appears to be OK

Part 2: When I clicked "Repair Disk" it said this:

Verifying and repairing partition map for “WD My Passport 070A Media”Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listAdjusting partition map to fit whole disk as requiredChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsReviewing boot support loadersChecking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsUpdating Windows boot.ini files as requiredThe partition map appears to be OK

what does this all mean? what do I do next?

Sounds like the drive is OK. But it does sound like the drive is formatted for Windows (FAT32/NTFS) not GUID & Mac OS Extended (journaled). Even still your Mac should be able to access the drive. Did you alter your system? Or, upgrade the OS?

I believe i did upgraded the OS when it advised me to update but that happened before last week like a 2weeks ago and when i connected my external hard drive to the computer it was working fine.

how can i go about this? what should be my next steps.

I need to access some important files that I need.

What gets me is the entry: "Updating Windows boot.ini " thats not Mac! Thats MS Windows. Do you have BootCamp and Windows installed on your system?

I have an iMac 27" that will not recognize my 3G WD MyPassport. It does recognize the older 1G WD MyPassport. I think I disconnected incorrectly. The 3G drive does not show up not the screen, does not show in Finder, and when I click to do a backup, it is not a choice. I have switched cords with the one that works and it makes no difference. Also, I have tried all ports. Is there anything I can do, or should I just buy a new one?

Run Disk Utility omn the drive, it will show up on the left even if not on the desktop, then get WD Drive Utilities via download and give it a try.

I am trying this, the light is flashing on the WD drive, but Disk Utility isn't finding it.

Lindsay G will be eternally grateful.