Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Kernel Panics and booting problems.

I own MacBook Pro mid 2012 system.

A few days back my MacBook Pro has started to freeze during startup and then ultimately it completely crashes.

I replaced the HDD and checked for a bad RAM module but everything seemed OK. Also when I touched the area around HDD it caused the machine to freeze.

Please help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

I suspect your drive cable is bad. Apple had a bad run of cables for this system. Here is the part you will need: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable. Here's the guide you'll need to follow: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Hard Drive Cable Replacement.

I also suspect your original drive is OK. So you might want to see about returning your new drive unless you also wanted to get a bigger drive and that is why you replaced it to start with.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable Image

Apple has recognized this to be a valid problem in this particular make and model of MacBook. Before you go and spend money on buying a new cable, take it to an Apple Retail store or an authorized service provider. Even if your Mac is out of warranty, it is still worth a try.

Could you give us a link to this recognition, I have not seen it yet?

Hi! Most likely this machine behaviour ist caused by a faulty GPU. https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro...

If it was the cable, there would be a grey screen only and the MBP would boot from your hard drive being used externally via USB / FireWire.

Kind regards

I disagree vehemently with your statement of there just being a gray screen with the bad cable. I have seldom see this with a defective cable. Please back this conclusion up with documentation.

Hi mayer! Those are my experiences over last 2 years. Grey screen as long as the HDD was inserted. Booted as soon as I used it externally via USB / FW. Changed the cable, no problems.

Hi! I am having this problem after changing my cable with one from iFixit; same thing that Alexander is reporting, and waiting for the next cable to confirm that it was the issue.

Unfortunately the iFixit spare broke after 2 weeks of use. I am using a caddy arrangement with HDD/caddy in the SuperDrive bay + SSD in the main bay

Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2012 (2014) i7

I've had this problem and swapping out the ram sticks was my answer. It might be worth a shot.

Saurabh will be eternally grateful.