A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, first announced February 20, 2013 and released November 15, 2013.

PS4 will not power on

I just bought a used PS4 yesterday, and much to my horror it would not turn on when I brought it home. I set it up, and when I push power the blue light comes on for maybe a second, then shuts down completely. When I press it a second time, it beeps again (as it does when I touch "eject").

I've contacted Sony, but as it is out of warranty I'm not sure what they can do. Do any of you have any suggestions (other than banging it on my knee, which seems incredibly silly to me with an expensive piece of technology)?

Any help would be appreciated. I really hope I didn't just buy a $300 paperweight.

I have this problem to, when I press the power button it beeps and turns on for half a second and turns back off. When I press it again nothing happens. Please help, it's a brand new PlayStation 4 and is unused I've only played it for about a while 2 weeks total. Please help

You can get a new power supply on amazon depending on the model for $50-$70 typically. Also some time just removing and seating the power supply back in all the way down can fix this issue. There is just enough wiggle room even when its screwed down for it to lift just a little giving you a bad connection. Check for the Model number on the bottom of the PS4 before purchasing a replacement power supply as the older models use a 4 pin and the newer ones use 5 pin. They are not cross compatible. Check the warranty also as once you remove the stickers covering the screws the warranty is void for the console. You can also replace other components this way as well if needed like the hard drive. Once open its a good idea to clean out any dust in there to prevent over heating.

I have this problem but nothing is happen when I press either buttons completely unresponsive. From u it unplugging do I just need a new power supply?

Jon, if your PS4 is not under warranty, try this https://youtu.be/pszuueUTBrk

It worked for me after almost a year of searching for an answer. Do not take it COMPLETELY APART without trying this first.

Most Helpful Answer

I don't know where or who you bought it from but you may want to first see if they will take it back and give you your money back.

That being said, this is a super common problem with these. Sometimes it's a power supply problem but not usually. Usually it's caused by faulty solder joints under the APU (the large main chip on the motherboard). This is sometimes fixable but sometimes it's not.

There are a lot of businesses who advertise that they can fix this problem. You can find them by Googling them, you can probably eve find some on ifixit. My business also repairs these.

For you and any future readers who read this, here is a list of things that DO NOT cause this problem:

-HDMI port - The HDMI port has nothing to do with this problem. The HDMI port only affects whether video from the PS4 shows up on the TV.

-Software and updates - These do not affect whether the PS4 turns on or not. Software issues will still let the console power completely on.

-Controller or USB port - Neither of these have anything to do with where the problem is.

-Pretty much anything else...this is caused by a problem with the APU chip...nothing else.

I hope this helps.

If the ports where not damaged, I would agree. Although it is true that the PS4 was not designed to run accessories off the HDMI Port. The USB port still has a 5v positive pin. So it is possible for the console to turn off immediately if the self test senses a short.

Out of all of the PS4's that we've repaired (hundreds) there has not been a single one that has had the problem of powering on and then back off that was caused by anything other than the power supply or the APU. So while maybe it's a possibility that the USB port could cause this problem, in reality it doesn't happen. If it did happen it would maybe be .01% of the time which is not common enough to even mention it to someone who is looking for an answer to this problem.

I can verify what TronicsFix is telling you. My advice would be to seek out a business near you who does APU reflows as this is the cause of the problem 99% of the time.

Blow it! just received a second hand PS4 and had a similar issue - when we connected the power the light flashed blue, there was a faint click from inside, then the light went off. Nothing came on the tv. Inspired by the posts above I blew into the ports at the back and got a face full of dust. Blew until no more came out. Plugged it in again and suddenly it works perfectly! a big cloud of dust came out as the fan came on when it finally powered up properly.

Nice one. I had the same issue although my ps4 is two months old. I blew the living crap out of the vents and then it turned on fine. My living room got really smokey the night before due to a candle burning to long soi wonder if the smoke affected it.

I would first observe the outside of the system for dirty clogged air vents, if it looks dirty use the PS4 teardown guide on this site to open the top of the PS4. If it's really dirty inside it may have overheated at one point. Also, look at the HDMI port of the system for damage. It may need a re-flow or an HDMI port replacement.

Hope this helps you get an idea on where to start..

what you mean by re-flow?

It means that the motherboard will have to be heated up enough to allow the solder under the various components to liquefy so contact can be made with pins on the components and the motherboard.

Try this https://youtu.be/pszuueUTBrk

Remember to shutdown the playstation 4 down though either holding down the power button until you see it go off or to shut it down through the ps4 console. I unplugged my ps4 on accident once and it killed the powersupply inside the machine. Also remember to blow out the machine every 6 months or so. Even if you are in a "clean" environment dust can still collect inside the machine.

Thank you for all the replies. I've caved and decided to pay the $149 to have Sony fix it/send me a refurbished one. Which means I will now have the same amount of money invested as if I had just bought new in the first place. Stupid mistake on my part for buying without trying, but lesson learned.

Thanks again to those of you who so kindly replied.

My playstation 4 its still new i just purshased fee weeks ago ...

Today when i am trying to turn it on its not nurning it's starting the blue light and it's off afer 3 seconds i am trying many times and its not changing

If its new, send it back under warranty

I have had this problem so I contacted sony, sony state the parts they fit are to be free from defects for 12 months, it was the second system I had as the first system developed the same problem within 12 months so sony replaced that one with a refurbished one, the refurbished one also developed this problem but sony state that because it was a refurbished system they are only guaranteed for 90 days and wanted £125 to replace it....no thanks sony. Sounds like you have fallen fowl of the same thing many consumers are finding, unfortunately there is not a lot you can do apart from either getting it looked at independently or paying sony to replace it.

This is what happened to me: I put my ps4 in rest mode and some how it turned off. I couldn't get it to turn on with the controller nor by using the power button on the console. No lights would come up and it wouldn't beep. The only sign it made that gave me hope was one single beep when I pressed the eject button. So what worked for me was this: I removed all cables, everything. Then I waited a couple of seconds and inserted the power cable back in. From there I tried pressing power and using the controller but it still wouldn't work. I had to try removing the power cables a couple more times and then pressed only the eject button. Some how that worked and the ps4 turned back on. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have a disk in, so..... I guess I'll keep the disk in even if I only play downloaded games. Hope it works for you guys. Good luck!

Guys I need your help, have had the play station for 2 months now. We did not use it for a few weeks and now the ps4 does not come on at all. I have switched plugs, unplugged it and left it for a while. It still won't come on. Not even a yellow, red or blue light. The ps4 TV works fine.

Usually if it doesn't come on at all (no lights, no noises) it means that either the plug is not plugged in all the way (or it's bad) or the power supply is faulty. You'll want to make sure that the top cover is on all the way though too. If it's not snapped all the way down it will not make contact with the motherboard to turn it on.

Mine has the same problem and I have tried the things that u have said but nothing still happens

if the power supply is a myth then it certainly is a believable one. i just ordered one for 50 bucks coming in four days from now. i even got the screwdrivers to switch it out. i been looking at all the forums in hope its the power supply and they all have the symptoms that my ps4 had before it went dead. there was nothing for a motherboard problem. not symptoms or anything my ps4 did that could tie in with it. before all that i took it to a small no name shop at a hispanic mall in the south part of the city. pretty bad reputation for every store and business in that part of town. he told me it was the motherboard which costs 250 to repair. then he wanted me to sale it to him. if im not mistaken it appeared he was trying to hustle money from me by having to pay 250 to repair it when sony charges 150 or have me sell it with a good chance its not the problem and him getting money from selling it to someone else. i can see how repair stores would say its the motherboard. they could get a good hundred out of you for a repair but the power supply myth barley costs 50 bucks that you can do yourself. i would have to go with tronicsfix. i havent had any symptoms or evidence it the motherboard only the power supply. if it doesnt work then at least i could return the replacement also i looked up the motherboard replacement information and they wont do returns for it. not a coincidence?

Hi, I have the same problem and I think same as you, I want to by a new power supply, so did you fix yours changing that? was that the solution or you had to send it to sony store??

my email its kevsaba@gmail.com hoping you fixed it.

i have this issue and i just unplug from wall and wait a couple of seconds and it will work

My ps4 want turn on at all.i just played it one day then went to turn it back on now nothing no beeps lights nothing .but prior to this it got hot a few times.then it would also eject tbe game in it own its own n beep.every couple hrs.does anyone think this may only be a power supply problem or a mother board problem

Hi guys. I've just experienced the same problem with a recently purchased ps4. I disconnected the power and hdmi cables for about 2 minutes and reconnected; it started fine. I would recommend always turning off the machine correctly.

I was playing mine before I went to my soccer game it was all good then when I came back it just would not turn on at all no light came on just nothing happened at all I have triedhave everything it just won't turn on what do I do plz help

It's &&^&^$^ bullshit mine won't turn on at all I don't know what happened to it. It was fine then I woke up and it wouldn't turn on

The fix above is not for consoles that don't turn on at all. If your's doesn't make any noise and there are no lights when you try to turn it on then it's likely a power supply issue. Be sure to check that your power cable is in all the way first though.

my ps4 wont turn on completely when i plg it in it wont turn on what do i do

My sons PS4 do not power anymore, 1 year of daily use. My son used to leave it powered by night, in sleep mode. I dissasembled it for 1st time and find the power supply board not give the output voltage for the rest of the unit. so this is the problem. the power supply board have dead. this board is pretty big and complicated, and dont seem to be easy to repair if Im not a certificated ps4 tech and dont have any replacement part for this...(Warning ! this board have High Voltage on some electrolitic condensers even if powered off... ) finally I realized that is a big transformer on it. that seems overheated. I think this is the failure but dont have any replacement part. So I have to buy a new replacement Power Supply Board for PS4 ... about 45 $ on the websites...

I have the same problem plug it into a power source that works and no power but everything else works on the power source how do I fix my 2Nd ps4 that's right my second one

the voltage entering the ps4 is wrong this happened to me too when ever this happens unplug it at once if not it might blow the power like mine did. if the power is OK it will work try using a voltage regulator.

U can get a new power cord

U should get a new power cord

Im living in Jamaica and ive experienced this problem when press power button are the controller blue light only comes up for a sec and shut of back trying tbe controller are the power button nothing happens jus lay blank

I have mines from the game jus came out about 5 months tops

I found my answer on this board so do a little digging but the gist is get 2-3 neoprene/rubber washers to put on the bolts above the metal over the APU. They will be the obvious screws connected to a elongated diamond-like shape. Tighten them fully but do not break anything. If this does not work, then it will likely be a power issue. It worked for me and I looked literally 10 months before the answer came up. Do not try to "make" a washer from rubber, lol. It will not work. I've seen someone try it and disassemble their entire machine to find out REAL ones fixed his problem.

For instructions use this link here:

https://youtu.be/pszuueUTBrk That the gentleman a few posts up made.

I know how to pull my ps4

Dont know how to pull ps4

I don't fully understand what you mean. Click the YouTube link that's in my comment IF plugging your PS4 up to the wall outlet doesn't work. If these two options don't work, then you either need to get a new power cable or the source is corrupted. I would answer sooner but I get notifications literally 23 hours after you reply.

i have it about 3 or 4 years i pluged it up but a sparking does that mean it went out came out the soctie

DocRam will be eternally grateful.