Nintendo's upgraded version of the Nintendo 3DS. It features bigger screens, longer battery life, and a better design.

3DS XL charger port broke. Soldered it, but still not working. Help!

So my son broke the charger port on his 3DS XL Pokemon Y Edition. I tried to desolder it. It worked, but I think I did some damage to the circuit lines and the silver contact areas. I bought a new charger port from Amazon, but when I try to connect it, it still will not charge. It actually does charge if I hold it a certain way, but I cannot solder it in that position.

Do I have to replace the whole motherboard? Or can I buy the CircuitWriter Precision Pen to try to fix?

Thanks!!

Most Helpful Answer

Alexis, you do want to stay away from the circuitwriter pen. It makes a mess out of thing, and may work to repair traces, but not to attach components. If it "charge if I hold it a certain way" I'd reevaluate the soldering and redo it. Check the cable and make sure it is good.

Alexis will be eternally grateful.