Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

ge refridgerator gsh22sgress Freezer is cold but fridge is not

It's that simple. Freezer is cold but fridge is not. Adjusting temp doesn't seem to matter. The flap between the two is open but air not circulating into fridge.

How do you fix this problem?

Where is thermostor located?

Jazz board. https://www.amazon.ca/Whirlpool-W1050327...

It is easy to do and fixed my problem.

It is a common problem that my repairman wanted $500 for until I came across this solution. I had the same problem of the freezer still ice cold but the upper fridge was warm due to massive frost building up on the defrost fins in the freezer.

The auto defrost cycle wasn't kicking on.

The Evaporator Coils are Frosted Over

If the freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm and the evaporator coils are frosted over, there may be a defrost system problem. Several times a day the defrost heater assembly turns on for a few minutes to melt away any frost or ice that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the defrost heater assembly has burned out, or the defrost thermostat or defrost control have failed the frost will build up on the coils and eventually no air will be able to travel through the coils to provide cooling. The most common cause for this condition is a problem with the defrost system.

Evaporator Fan Motor

If the refrigerator freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm, the evaporator fan motor might have failed. Every refrigerator has a set of coils called an evaporator. These are the coils that get cold. A small fan and motor is mounted near the coils. This fan and motor - called the evaporator fan and motor, draws air over the evaporator coils and circulates it throughout the freezer and refrigerator. If the fan fails, the freezer or refrigerator will get much warmer than usual.

Damper Control Assembly

If the freezer is cold but refrigerator is warm the air damper control might be stuck closed or broken. The air damper control is either an automatic or manually operated door which opens and closes to let more or less cold air into the refrigerator compartment. If it doesn't open properly it won't let enough cold air into the refrigerator. If the evaporator fan is running, the damper door is open and no air is coming out. The evaporator may be frosted up caused by a defrost problem.

Thermistor

If the freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm the thermistor might be defective. The thermistor is a sensor which monitors the air temperature. It is connected to the control board. If the thermistor is defective the refrigerator does not cool or may cool continuously.

Temperature Control Board

If the refrigerator's freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm the temperature control board might be defective. The temperature control board provides the voltage to the fan motors and compressor. These boards are often misdiagnosed. Check all other components to be certain this is the cause of the problem.

Defrost Thermostat

If the refrigerator freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm, the defrost thermostat might be defective. Several times a day the defrost heater turns on for a few minutes to melt away any frost that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. In order for this to work, the defrost thermostat has to sense that the coils are cold enough. If the coils are cold enough the defrost heater will turn on. If the thermostat is defective it may not be able to sense the temperature of the coils and then won't turn on the defrost heater. If the defrost heater doesn't turn on, the frost will build up on the coils and eventually no air will be able to travel through the coils to provide cooling to the freezer or refrigerator. The defrost thermostat can be checked for continuity. It should have continuity when it reaches the low temperature of its operating range.

Main Control Board

If the refrigerator's freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm the main control board might be defective. This is not common. The cause of this problem is almost always in the defrost components.

The main control board was just replaced. The damper control assembly opens on its own and is open wide which tells me the fridge is trying to cool. The freezer stays cold. There is no air coming out of the damper door so I'm guessing there is a fan that is stuck or not working. How can I check the defrost thermostat, temperature control board or see if the coils are frosted over. if the coils were frosted over would the freezer still be cold? thank you.

Had the same issue with Freezer cold but refrigerator was warm (64F) check the damper door which was open. My model is a built in fridge with a bottom freezer drawer in the process of removing the covers to get to the evaporator coils and fan they fan suddenly turned on. I know it was not on until I started to remove the cover, so I am not sure if it was frozen or a piece had ice had stopped the fan blades but i could now feel cold air coming into the refrigerator compartment. Coils also seemed fine and not frozen over.

-Mike

so if we've replaced the thermistor, checked for continuity... still fridge isn't quite cold enough...air coming in from damper, but not cold enough and frost in freezer.... would your next step be to replace the defrost heater?

The main jazz board was the culprit on my Maytag. It took two years and many frost melting sessions to figure it out but it was the main board. A relatively undifficult repair.

My freezeer is extremely cold (-32 Celsius) and the rerigerator not cooling. The fan is working. What would be my next step?

Have tried thawing - didn’t help.

Turned out to be the evaporator fan.. still stops some times but just tapping the cover that houses the evaporator coils and and fan seems to get it going again. Not sure if the fan is failing or if it's freezing over and getting jammed I ordered an extra motor just in case but I haven't replaced it until I absolutely need to.

Mike

Where is the evaporator fan located?

In the freezer compartment right next to the evaporator coil.

Had same problem on my Kenmore. Was the fan in the freezer compartment that forces cold air up to th fridge. Had somehow become cocked and hit something that stopped it dead. Just straightening it solved the problem. Motor did not burn up so don't need a new one. This problem is not mentioned in your fixes.

I'm having the same issues with my refrigerator has been a while now every 4-5 months the refrigerator part starts getting warm I believe the defrost heater isn't working as it should ice builds up and stops the fan from circulating air I have to disconnect for a couple of days and let it thaw and then reconnect and then works just fine can anybody tell me where the defrost heater is located or how to change it out

I had a defrost heater replaced and the defrost thermometer replaced and it worked fine for a few days but now it's doing the same thing! So what could be the problem now!?

I’m having an issue w/my Frigidaire too. Freezer is ice cold but the fridge is just meh… started a few weeks ago, started cleaning out the vent in the front but that didn’t seem to do much. Any ideas?

tiffany try reading the first answer, there are 7 ideas there.

hi Kenny,

have a hotpoint minstrel plus frost free , freezer working fridge not working , have checked the freezer compartment and the fan is not working , would like some ideas,

joe

I had a very similar problem. The defrost system wasn’t working properly and the evaporator coils were frosted over and air was not circulating into the fridge well. After defrosting, the fridge returned to normal working order. For a while. A few months later, the problem came back. In my case, a clue was that the hole that drains the defrosted water was plugged with ice. I was slow to figure out that there was a clog of gunk in the drain line (not sure where it came from) because it never occurred to me that was possible. It seems to be working better now after defrosting AND cleaning out the blockage in the drain line.

kennyfluke will be eternally grateful.