What do the iPhone 5 interconnect cables do?

I broke one of my interconnect cables, I can't explain which one it was because they are both so similar, but could you explain what both of them do anyway please. I think it's to do with the SIM card part because when I broke it, now my phone doesn't read any SIM card.

becky, it sure would help if you know which one you broke. There is one, which is straight and it is for the cellular part. If it fails, or breaks, you will have poor to none cellular reception etc. If the one which has 2 turns breaks you will lose your GPS.Check on here For your Sim to be recognized, make sure that your date and time are set correct and place your phone in airplane mode for 10 seconds. After that it should/might recognize your sim. It may also have to do with how you broke the cable. you may want to elaborate on that.

iPhone 5 Interconnect Cable Image

becky will be eternally grateful.