How to fix "No Service" after being dropped in water?

So I went to the pool 4 days ago, and I wasn't thinking and jumped in the water with my iPhone 6 in my pocket. After about 10 seconds, I realized and took it out, and powered it off immediately. Since then, I have left the phone in a bag of rice for 3 days. I thought this would be enough, but it wouldn't turn on after I took it out, even after I tried to give it a hard reset.

So today I opened the phone, only to find water still inside. I let it dry for 5 hours, then used cool air from a hair dryer to dry it out even more. After plugging it all back up, I rebooted it, and it works! However, the lcd screen is very spotty and the backlight is uneven, which I can live with.

Now the only problem is my phone cannot find cell service, it is stuck on "Searching...".

Also the battery is draining about 10x faster than normal, which is a pain. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this cell service problem? I am comfortable doing repairs with the phone, I have a lot of experience. What can I do to get service again?

You'll probably find there is some corrosion on the logic board thats effecting your signal and also draining your battery through a possible short circuit.

I'd disconnect the battery and remove the logic board and give the board a thorough clean with a soft toothbrush and isoproynol alchohol to remove any residue and corrosion.

I did use some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to try to clean it, do you think I need to submerge it?

Most Helpful Answer

Rice does absolutely nothing! It's a myth!

Your best bet is to get it professionally cleaned at a repair shop that uses ultrasonic cleaning.

Toothbrush and 99.9% isypropyl alcohol can help a lot, use a toothbrush on most of it and also submerge it, but ultrasonic cleaning gets under the shields to, where your toothbrush can not.

That "myth" has saved 3 iPhones so far for me.

Using rice is the same as putting it next to a fan that is turned on to air it out.

If you want an actual fix that clears out the liquid damage in the phone you actually have to open it up and dry it out + 95%+ isophryl alcohol clean the connections.

Depending on how much liquid it may have or may have not gotten into contact with ribbon connectors and logic board.

If it does then there will be signs of corrosion (white / green) and / or burn marks (black) on the board and possibly still be wet / have liquid on there.

Plugging a liquid damaged phone to a charger ends up shorting liquid affected components to the point of where it burns them out and can make the board actually unfixable.

Those 3 iPhones got 'lucky'

And I guarantee that they probably act like complete trash with terrible battery or a few things not working, or not enough water got in.

Don't try come on a fixing forum spreading complete lies about something that has never and will never actually fix phones, it's the same as me sticking my phone by a magic lamp and wishing for it to be fixed.

@gedo1992 " magic lamp and wishing for it to be fixed." are you now saying those don't work either? Darn! lol

@oldturkey03 I am sorry to break your heart, but it's true! :( hahaha

Ged is absolutely correct. Rice is a myth. If your phone did work after a couple of days, its because the water naturally evaporated out by itself. EXAMPLE: If you left your car windows open during a rain storm, would you... A: Park the car in the garage with the windows up and put bags of rice around your car? B: Park your car in the sun with the windows down?

I am a professional repair shop owner and I hear it all the time. Bring to a repair shop or at least turn it off and put the phone in a food dehydrator for a day !!!

I wouldn't say it's due to water evaporation that saved it, since when the liquid has evaporated, it leaves behind minerals which cause corrosion, which is why you have a higher success rate on a device that's freshly wet, than a device that's been left to dry, some devices that work after liquid damage only work because liquid didn't get in a location where it causes major damage, or hardly any liquid got in to begin with.

It's a bad idea to let it dry or use a dehydrator, as using a dehydrator will just speed up the corrosion process.

I completely agree that you should get it to a professional that can clean the logic board of the liquid and any corrosion on the board. :-)

Joey will be eternally grateful.