Mid 2009 Model A1278 / 2.26 or 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor EMC 2326

Upgrading Logic Board with Core Duo to i5?

Hello everyone!

I have a 2009 MacBook pro, 13'' with a 2.53Ghz core 2 duo. What i would like to know is if it's possible for me to upgrade my logic board to a more recent one, like for instance, a mid 2012 Intel Core i5.

If so, it would be much apreciated if you would give me some advice on how to replace it and alert me to anything that i should take mind of, like mounting issues, ports, and maybe some solutions do those issues!

On advance, i give you my humble thanks :)

Sadly, its really not possible.

Apple changes things around to such a point you really can't fit a different series logic board into your system,. Here's the EveryMac spec sheet for you system and the first possible i5 system:

As you can see the ports alone are different and are not aligned the same within the case. You can also review these IFIXIT guides:

As you can see there are enough differences in the heat sink and the mount points that you'll need to over come.

Basically, it will be cheaper to buy a used newer model than retrofit a newer logic board into your system.

I want to change my logic board from a macbook pro 2009 core 2 duo to a i5 logic board from a macbook pro 2010, is it possible? I only saw some differences between the battery, but I don't really know if there are more changes in the logic boards

Not really possible, please read above for the full details.Time for a newer system (new or used)

On the 13 inch, you can swap logics freely between 2009 and 2010 (both Core2Duo, but there are internal changes, bus speed, faster processors that make this an upgrade, and you can swap in a faster processor logic), but no others.

You can swap freely between early and late 2011 (again for faster processors and Apple-undocumented design flaw revisions).

The 2012 13”, at the least, has a different SATA cable than the previous years, and a couple of connections on the logic that are transposed but within the tolerances of the cables on the 2011; and I have not experimented with this swap out, self.

On the 15”, you lose that freely swapping ability between 2009 and 2010 because the changes in board design to use the i5 vs the Core2Duo moved other things around on the board.

When in doubt, you can lookup the board replacement instructions here for the different years and compare the pictures and notes.

Andrade will be eternally grateful.