Model A1181: 1.83, 2, 2.1, 2.13, 2.16, 2.2, or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

White screen no chime? PLEASE HELP. Got it Dec 24, 2014.

I have a 1st generation Macbook. I got it for my birthday/Christmas. A1181.

I was using it while listening to iTunes and on Facebook. I went to take a screen shot and the screen turned white.

I have tried rebooting it. Holding the power button for 10 seconds (after I would let go it would make this really loud high pitch noise) then clicking command, shift, r, p and Alt, shift, r, p while hold the power button.

There where no chimes. It won't even make the powering up music.

I'm very stressed out because of the fact I just got this not to long ago and I really don't want my parents not trusting me with electronics.

My Macbook is refurbished. I do have a warranty but I do not want to use it unless it is necessary. (also I don't know if the warranty will cover it.)

Please help! I need my laptop for school and to be social.

Also when I shut it down I just held the power button (because I couldn't click on anything) and my music was still playing. I may have muted the speakers but I do not know due to the fact that I have click the turn up speaker button and it wont do anything.

Can you give us the last three digits of your systems serial number as there are a few different versions of this system.

Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor more than our dads—let’s celebrate all the mentors who taught us how to fix.
Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor those who taught us how to fix.

My first guess is a failed hard drive. First try zapping the PRAM twice, let us know if you now hear the startup tone, here's how: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Do you have a system installation disk?

I do not have a system installation disk. When I opened the box my computer only came with a charger and the laptop its self (because of it being refurbished) so. But my macbook is now working just fine. All it needed was a software update. But I wonder why it went to a white screen for just a software update? Do you know? I am new to the macbook world so I don't understand a lot of whats happening.

Most Helpful Answer

From what you described here I don't think there is much we can offer you without the need to repairing it (needing parts).

I would speak with your parents telling them you didn't break it (assuming thats correct). You didn't drop it or bang it did you?

As it has a warranty I would take advantage of it before it expires.

It ended up being that my system needed an update and my computer failed to tell me. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Right before bed I tried holding the button until the light stopped flashing. It did what it was before with the loud beeping but after a few seconds it stopped and pulled up a software update. Which did confuse me because I had never read online that the white screen could be because of a update. Could it be because I have such a old computer? I don't know but I would like to know if you or anyone else knows why my computer went to a white screen for just an update?

Cassidy will be eternally grateful.