Apple released the MacBook Pro 15" Retina with a new display that has a 2880-by-1800 resolution.

Has anyone replaced soldered ram in rmbp

Has anyone actually removed the ram chips (hynix right?) and managed to solder on new ram chips to increase to 16gb?

Most Helpful Answer

Sorry, its just not done.

The rub here is you need the proper equipment to solder on the chips (on the other side) without messing up the other exposed components from to much heat.

A coworker runs an electronics assembly lab with all the necessary reflow obens, is that the kind of equipment required?

You would be taking a big gamble here. I would strongly recommend you do some deeper investigating and research that this posting. You still need to find a source for the correct RAM chips and you will also need the other support components that are not present on the board. I would recommend you get a 16GB board so you can compare your 8GB board to. Once you figure it out take lots of notes and pictures so you can create a IFIXIT guide on how you did.

wayleth will be eternally grateful.