Model A1136 / 30, 60, or 80 GB hard drive / black or white plastic front

iPod has sad face whenever I turn it on.

I recently changed the battery , headphone/hold button and back piece to my 5th gen iPod , and ive restored it a couple of times and now its giving me the sad faced iPod and tells me to go to www.apple.com/support/iPod . dont know what to do ?

Most Helpful Answer

Sad iPod icon with exclamation point

This icon means that the disk scan was not able to recover the hard disk data. Here's what Apple says to do to fix it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1373

as you already changed the battery, headphone and back cover, it seems like you know what to do to fix it. First make sure that the hard drive cable is seated properly on both ends!

Most common when the sad face icon appears is, that the hard drive is corrupted/damaged.

But, you should try this first. Follow the link and set the iPod to disk mode, then hook it up to a computer and restore it via iTunes.

http://www.command-tab.com/2006/03/30/hi...

Set the iPod to disk mode sometimes needs a couple of tries, once it took me half an hour.

If it can´t be restored it means, the hard drive is damaged OR cannot be read. That means, the hard drive itself is damaged OR the hard drive cable has been flexed one time to often during repair.

As the flex cable is very cheap in terms of a new hard drive, i would give it a try and buy a new flex cable, before i would buy a new hard drive.

Im getting the same problem. i have owned this i pod for a few years now and its giving me the same sad face. i want to try and fix it my self because i put a whole lot of work into this i pod as far as music. It will not power up enough to connect to i tunes so it keeps going back and forth from sad face to "battery is very low charge screen. Do You Think The Battery Has Finally Kicked The Can??

The battery is cheap enough and easy enough to replace. give it a try and take it from there. I am certain it is at the end of its lifespan. Use the guides listed if you need help with it.

victor napoles will be eternally grateful.