Model A1418 / Late 2013 / 2.7 & 2.9 GHz Core i5 or 3.1 GHz Core i7 Processor

Need more ram for iMac 21.5 late 2013

iMac 21.5 late 2013 8gb of ram

I stupidly purchased a iMac (21.5 inch late 2013) with only 8GB of RAM. I understand its virtually impossible to add ram internally, but does anybody know of a product I can use to increase my RAM without a tear down? Like installing more ram thru a usb or lighting port? Thank you!

I did this upgrade this last weekend for a customer. True it is a PITA. It was the first time into one of these glue job machines for me. The whole thing took me about 3 hours but I was being very careful. Only Apple makes the mSATA card for the machine and they wanted $950 for the 256 and $1350 for the 512K. The RAM upgrade ran just under $200. My question is WHY? Why do you think you need that much RAM and if you can use it, why don't you have a MacPro? iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2638 RAM Replacement

First off thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. I believe I need more ram, because I have the app "memory clean" installed on my Mac. Whenever I use iPhoto, or mint, and try to say surf while the photos are uploading I'm constantly running right around 8gb. At the time I only purchased 8gb, because I told the sales rep I'm more of a beginner and would probably just be doing some normal stuff plus light photo and video editing. He thought 8gb was plenty, but based on what this app is telling me it's not. I really don't want to take it into a certified apple repair store just for cost reasons, and I was hoping, obviously having no real understanding of how computers work, that there might be a product I could just plug into one of my usb or lighting ports. Based on your answer it sounds like I asked a silly question, yet you still responded and did so very professionally. Thank you!

I have not used that APP. See if there is another one that does the same and compare the results. There are no silly questions until you ask the same one a second time. There are very few Apps that even have the ability to use the RAM you have installed. I really didn't answer it, I just implied. No, there is no way to use an external source for RAM. I did install a Hybrid Seagate SSHD into the machine I was working on to speed it up. That installation is involved because of the screen removal but after that is very easy. Nothing like the RAM upgrade. Others here may have experience with the new thunderbolt technology and may have suggestions on how to utilize it.

Todd will be eternally grateful.