Model CUH-ZCT1. Released in November 2013 by Sony Computer Entertainment, this six-axis, 3.7 V lithium ion battery controller is uncomplicated to repair.

What counts as unrepairable? (PS4 Controllers)

I am buying a joblot of faulty ps4 controllers and am wondering what types of problems are unrepairable? I know analog drift, cracked shells, worn nubs and usb ports can be replaced or repaired but what would indicate a problem with the motherboard, which I heard can't be replaced?

MARs, broken (cracked or otherwise physically damaged) circuit boards are pretty much done for. component repair will depend on your skills and tools. It can all be repaired, for as long as you know how. There is no specific answer since it will be entirely up to you of what is unrepairable.

So you're saying most problems bar physically damaged circuit boards can be fixed? (Does this include water damage?)

When buying ps4 controllers, what sort of problems would most likely indicate a broken board? What sort of descriptions should I be wary of when buying controllers?

unresponsive would be the one I'd be leery off. That could be caused by multiple things and usually turns into a money pit. It will also depend on who is selling and why. Water damage can be fixed, but is very hard to diagnose. To purchase something like this is always a gamble....

Thanks for replying, just a couple more questions if it's not too much trouble.

Things like the controller being unable to sync, or not charging would also indicate a motherboard problem?

Lastly, I'm buying these controllers off ebay and costs from p&p tends to add up, where would be the best place to buy broken ps4 controllers outside the internet? (I'm in the UK.)

Thanks, again.

unable to sync can be a circuit board issues and not charging can be as simple as a battery connector or even a bad battery to as bad as the power management circuitry. As where to buy, that is a real big depend. I would check actual electronic auctions, universities, fleamarkets, and newspapers.

Thanks again.

Use the defective ones as "remote PS4 power on switches". Solder a pair of wires to the PS4 wake/menu button and then connect to an Arduino.

It's pretty awful you can't turn on PS4s (or wake them) using third party remotes. I'd sacrifice/hack one of my own PS4 controllers, but they're in perfect shape still (and expensive to replace).

MARs will be eternally grateful.