Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

No water going into ice maker on GE Refrigerator?

GE 15 year old refrigerator ice maker will not make ice, I installed a new solenoid and jumper tested that and it put water into the ice maker, I primed the ice maker and waited 3 hours and it kicked the ice out fine. But when the solenoid is plugged in properly it will not put water into the ice maker. The ice maker cycles fine.???

Most Helpful Answer

Water Inlet Valve

If the refrigerator ice maker is not working the water inlet valve might be defective. The water inlet valve is an electro-mechanical valve. The coil can show good for continuity and still not let the water thru.

Low Water Pressure from House Supply

If the ice maker is not working the water pressure in the house might be too low. The water inlet valve which supplies water to the ice maker is designed to work with a minimum of 20 psi of water pressure.

Water Filter

If the refrigerator ice maker is not working the water filter might be clogged. Try changing the water filter.

Icemaker Switch

If the refrigerator ice maker is not working, check the icemaker switch. This switch frequently gets turned off by accident. If the switch is turned on but the ice maker still doesn't work, check the switch for continuity with an Ohm meter. Replace as needed.

Hard to believe but the tube that's built into the back of the freezer that the hose connects to fill the icemaker froze solid. I had to use a hair dryer to thaw it.

I am having the same problem. My ice make was working like a champ, and then all of a sudden it stopped. I ensured the proper temperature in the freezer. It is at 5 degrees F. The ice machine works, but it does not fill with water. I used a jumper on ports V & L and it fills water fine when I do that. I have ensured there is not ice in the water inlet.

I decided to purchase a new ice maker. I hooked it up, let it run, and again no ice. I worked on it for nearly two weeks, but still no ice. With the new ice maker, I can also jump ports V & L and water comes out of the inlet value nicely.

I sent the new one back and re-installed my old one. It keeps going through the cycle automatically, but the water just doesn’t get activated.

proamgolfco will be eternally grateful.