Is it the volume button or the cable?

I have a broken volume down button. I want to do the repair myself. Order a new set of volume buttons and also a replacement battery, so I fix two things at once. But how can I be sure it's the volume button itself and not the audio cable? You can also order this cable, but don't fix what isn't broken, right? Is there a way to be sure it's the button?

Only the volume down (- button) is broken. And when I use the buttons on the headphone cable, everything works fine. (don't know if this helps)

Thanks for the help!

kr,

Richard

If the button is clicking then it's the cable, the button is just a piece of metal and can't go wrong unless it stops making contact with the cable (which you will notice)

Thanks for the help. The guide for replacing the cable looks too hard for me, so I am going to let a repair shop take a look

Delete will be eternally grateful.