Released October 2008 / 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8 or 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor

MacBook went into sleep mode, powered itself off, won't turn back on

Quick question before I go to the Apple store-

Recently updated my 2008 Macbook Pro to Yosemite. Ran into the somewhat common issues involving WiFi and Java 6 but resolved them relatively easily and it was smooth sailing for a bit.

Today, I booted it up as normal, caught a brief glimpse of my desktop and then it immediately went into sleep mode. I hit the spacebar and that caused it to immediately power off. Now when I hit the power button I get nothing. No fans, no boot sound, nothing. The indicator on the charger is steady green and the side LEDs all light up just fine. Am I totally screwed???

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Before doing anything study the following so you understand the directions... there are several sequential steps.

Try holding the power button down for more than 10 seconds, do not let up yet.

1. On the built-in keyboard, press and hold down the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. (You're already held the power button down for >10 Sec).
  2. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  3. LAST Press the power button to turn on the computer.

AS IT BOOTS Hold down the shift key until you see an icon on the screen, the release the shift key - this will make the first boot a "Safe" boot. If that doesn't work - off to the Genius with you.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

Looks like it's Genius Bar for me. Thanks for the answer though!

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact same issue.

Bill will be eternally grateful.