Smaller, thinner, quieter model of the Playstation 2 (SCPH-7XXXX) released by Sony in September, 2004.

Why is my game disk not spinning?

I had my Playstation 2 'stored' in a drawer of my room. When I decided to rehook it to play after possibly 3-5 years, it was very dusty. I took the time to make sure I blew out remaining dust inside the console and on the surface, along with making sure my game disk was in decent condition to play. I found that my disk was not being read properly no matter how many times I tried, so I looked into detail to see if the laser was working, or if it was spinning. Surprisingly enough, the disk will not spin! The break that will release the disk does release it when the lid is closed, and the console should be detecting the lid is shut, but it just won't spin. It won't with movie DVDs, CDs, or game disks. The first time I tried it, the game worked fine, but then I tried making a new save from it, then the game froze. Therefore, it surely was spinning until the sudden stop after trying to make a new save. If further detail is needed, I will be glad to try to add it.

It wouldn't spin, even after cleaning dust so I put a disc in an it keeps goingetting to systeme browser so I left it with disc in and when I came back the game was now showing. Any idea why?

Most Helpful Answer

It goes back an forth when the lazer comes to it what's wrong

My moter does not turn properly it goes back an forward on my PlayStation 2

Hey mate, first off. I know you have tried the brake release, but have you tired both (there are two that need to be pushed down to allow the disk spin). There is one near the power switch. The other one is towards the back, left of the laser assembly. This photo shows there location;

http://www.richspsxparts.com/howto/lidcl...

If that isn't it, it could be a faulty laser or motor problem. It could be a problem with its wiring (the motors ribbon cable sometimes is the problem, so inspect that) or it has simply died. If not a motor problem. It could also be that the laser can't read the disk/detect there is one, the motor won't spool up/spin. The laser is what tells the motor to pin, go a set speed etc.

If you want to try a new laser etc, you will need your PS2's model number. This guide should help you out, to insure you order the correct components;

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/How-To-Determ...

Hope this gives you something to go on/help you.

Thanks for you help, but I managed to fix it. The problem was, there was too much dust and a small piece of rubber trapped inside the console itself. I managed to take it apart and clean it off. It works fine now. (When I blew out the dust as mentioned above, I had not actually taken the console apart, I just blew in the holes inside the lid)

That's awesome mate. Dust is the root evil of all electronics. I'm glade you were able to get it back up and running. Happy gaming :)

Kayleigh will be eternally grateful.