7.9 inch display / Model A1432 / Available in black or white / Announced October 23rd, 2012 / 16, 32, or 64 GB capacity

iPad mini Wont' turn on at all. Hardware issue? Searched everywhere

Challenging question for you pros.

I inherited a non working iPad mini (first gen). It seems to have been dropped (the screen had a hairline crack on it). Aside from the crack, it's in pretty good shape. I don't know much about the history of it. I want to get it working but don't know what it needs fixing. I tried all the reset options with the buttons, charging it and everything possible (I've searched everywhere). All I get isa black unresponsive screen. It must be a hardware issue.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Could it be the LCD, Battery, Digitizer? Possibly a common issue.

I've swapped out a bunch of different iphone screens in the past and am good with surgery on these devices. I don't have much to lose but don't want to toss away money getting a screen to find out that it doesn't work anyway. Any help would be appreciated.

Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor more than our dads—let’s celebrate all the mentors who taught us how to fix.
Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor those who taught us how to fix.

Most Helpful Answer

Step one--is this no power or no image. Plug it into iTunes.

Assuming it will be no power---crack that sucker open and overlay a new battery into the battery connector on the board. What happens? Can iTunes see it now? If so--you will troubleshooting battery/charging.

If not--you have a dead mini, toss it.

If it's not no power---i.e., iTunes can recognize it, then you will be troubleshooting a display problem. Try a known good LCD. If not display, it is classic iPad mini backlight fuse problem.

Let us know what you find out.

jessa

mgarciaad will be eternally grateful.