My mac is stuck on the white startup screen!

So, my sister was fooling around on my laptop, and somehow managed to change the color display. After that, system preferences became unresponsive, so I forced quit. After that, it would be unresponsive every time I opened it. My other apps like Safari and Chrome would shut down within a few seconds of opening them. So, I tried restarting. When I tried to turn it back on, it got stuck on the white startup screen with the apple logo in the center. It's still stuck that way! It's a school laptop, and winter break ends soon. I need this fixed ASAP, thanks!

I solved the issue with first answer. Problem occurred after updating. Option-command-p-r seems to have solved he problem. MacBrook Pro new user.

Thank You! I'm back in business -- took a while, but it worked

How to unblock disk on MacBook

Seems you are in for a OS X reinstall. You shouldn't loose any data. Could also be the disk is starting to fail. That can happen after 5 years or after 2 weeks. Start with CMD+R into recovery and choose "Reinstall MacOS X". I would also try first Disk Utility from the same recovery menu to make sure the drive is ok.

Tried all the solutions save Disk Selection as only have one HDD, will not start in safe mode, did the Disk Utility check with no flags, finally OS X reinstall which took a couple of hours and now it is at the same place i started with the white start up screen, apple logo and progress bar stall at the very end.

Am seriously frustrated and do not know what to try next? Is there any other process to try, I did not turn off the power after the OS X reinstall

MacBook Battery Fix Kits
Fix Kits Starting at $69.99
MacBook Battery Fix Kits
Starting at $69.99

Reset NVRAM

Sometimes you need to restore the NVRAM to get your computer functioning again, reset the NVRAM by powering down the MacBook; restart and immediately hold down the "Command-Option-P-R" keys simultaneously. When you hear the start-up chime a second time, release the keys.

Startup Disk Selection

After resetting the NVRAM, you may need to select the startup disk. This issue usually affects computers with more than one hard drive. Start the computer as normal and hold down the "Option" key as the computer starts. When the Startup Manager displays, use the left or right arrow keys to cycle between hard drive options. Select the main hard drive, usually called Macintosh HD, and press the "Return" key. Wait for your computer to boot into the operating system.

Safe Mode

Starting in Safe Mode also includes an automatic disk check to verify and repair any issues with the operating system software. If you boot into Safe Mode successfully, you can then shut down your computer and attempt to boot normally. To start in Safe Mode, shut down your computer and press the power button to restart; after you hear the start-up chime, press and hold the "Shift" key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo.

Disk Utility

Use Disk Utility to check the status of your hard disk and make sure that you don't have a failing hard drive. Shut down your computer; restart and then hold down the "Command-R" keys until you see the OS X Recovery utility screen. Select the "Disk Utility" option and select the "First Aid" tab. Select your hard drive from the sidebar and then click "Repair" to diagnose and repair the disk. If you have a failing hard drive, a notice displays telling you to back up your system and reformat the hard drive.

Reinstall Mac OS

Reinstalling Mac OS X fixes any corrupt system files and repairs the operating system without deleting your files, applications and other data. Restart and hold down the "Command-R" keys. After you access the OS X Recovery utility, you may need to select a Wi-Fi network so that your Mac can download the latest installation files. Select the "Reinstall OS X" option, click "Continue" and then follow the onscreen prompts to complete the reinstallation of your operating system.

Hope this can help you!

Thanks SydneyBush for the Step by Step Troubleshooting !

My Mac Pro crashed last night while working. I went step by step and first tried NVRAM Reset a couple of times. Later I tried startup disk selection. I did get the option to select the only once. but nothing happened after. So i moved on to Safemode. Even though it didnt boot completely in Safemode, it shutdown properly after displaying white screen for a while. After this, i moved to disk utility. It worked like breeze. The utility showed all the drives. i did the verify and repair disk. there were no problems with the harddisk. however it did reveal that there was hardly any space available on my harddisk (20 MB out of 1 TB). I restarted the Mac. it booted properly and cleared all the unwanted files and increased the available space to 150 GB. Remember do all this with Main Power plugged in. A few of the attempts were futile when we tried all this on battery power.

Cheers

Pavan

Thanks for the info! My issue happened after a system update, it was asking for a restart and I let it do it, after that it wouldn't start at all. It would lock in the logo screen with the progress bar at about 50%.

I tried all steps above but only the "Reinstall Mac OS" worked for me. And it worked as expected, it download the OS, reinstalled, and everything is back normal, no changes to settings or software.

Thanks for your help!

I have the same problem. Only difference is there's no apple logo on center. Till login is fine but after that its plain white screen. It also notify's me that my start up disc is full. Sometimes this white screen happens and sometimes it doesn't. Today I tried 17times and 5 times the same that you answered. Usually when white screen comes. I shutt down and restart. Then it works fine. But now it aint. Plss help. Mines retina display 15inch

My disk says my OS X base systems and Macintosh HD appears to be OK. Now what to do??

Thank you very much sydneybush. Finally i fixed it by resetting the NVRAM.

> Try a safe boot.

> Run disk utility.

> Reset PRAM.

> Using terminal in single user mode.

> Reinstall Mac OS X.

Firstly you need to shut down your computer. Restart and then hold down the "Command-R" keys until you

see the OS X Recovery utility screen.

Select the disc utility option and select the "First Aid" tab select your hard drive from the sidebar and then click on "Repair" to diagnose and repair the disc. for any other steps visit this blog FIX-mac is stuck on the white startup screen! and see if this help to fix the problem

thanks

I turn on and it goes straight to white screen.. cmd-r doesn't do anything, opt-cmd-p-r doesn't work ( won't make start up sound a second time) .. now what?????? Need to get my HW off of here!!!!

Debbie exactly the same with my MacBook pro 15 (Mid 2012) happened after a system update,

I tried all of these, and either ended up with the apple logo loading screen that just loads for hours and hours but never gets past it, or most often just get a grey prohibition sign (circle with line through it), anyone else have this problem?? Can I still fix it?

same as mine, i have tried all but still the same. Any other ways please.

i think you need to do some clean up and try removing some unwanted software, remove all unwanted start up programs and clean the disk and get the latest mac O.S and for more visit https://discussions.apple.com/thread/507... and make sure you restart the computer after update and settings

https://goo.gl/0xwPC5 Thats a fake link. its disguised as the apple forums. hover your mouse over the link and in the corner it will show you the real link.

This blog might be helpful, please have a look: http://appletoolbox.com/2014/09/mac-fix-...

I'm experiencing the same issue and tried to resolve as Sydneybush suggested. But I shut down the MacBook after checking the status in disk utility. It was unresponsive (spin wheel was taking too long) and after rebooting using all methods mentioned above the load screen appears with a blinking "?" Folder. Honestly I'm at a loss now and need some help reinstalling OS X.

jd179 - Replace the hard drive/ IR cable. I suggest using the 2012 cable. You should really ask your own question on this.

I tried everything. When I try to reinstall OS X and it asks me to choose a disk where I want to install it no disk pops up. Please help.

Hi I have tried everything but still no luck in fixing the white screen problem, can anyone assist me please.

Hello everybody, I am facing the same problem. Disc utility option did not work to repair my mac osx.. What should I do now?

None of the options have helped for me. I am able to start up the computer, I hear the chime and it is a white screen. No logo, processing circle, nothing. The only one of the suggested restarts that had some type of response was the NVRAM, the screen would go black and chime over and over again until I released the "Command+Option+P+R".

I am unable to identify if the disck is full, or anything. HELP!

hi did you ever get this resolved?

same issue here, after I updated yesterday. Now is only white screen...

Whenever I do "Command P R" it only does one chime...?

I read this post on apple logo stuck while loading Mac helped me. What I did was going to safe mode and then repair disk.

My macbook pro suddenly freezed and when I restarted it, the white screen came up and I freeked out!! I tried the first 2 solutions it did not work! But After trying the third solution (SAFE MODE) it worked. It showed up the white screen for 2 seconds but then it worked

I have same problem.. but mac book is not showing login window.. it simply apper white screen with apple logo and half progress bar then shutdown pc. I have reset PVRAM , Reboot , Repair HD. Tell me what I will do other process. My Mac working perfect on yesterday. there is 19 MB Space right now available. so how to remove files with out showing screen ?

What about the apple appearing and then a circle with a slanted line through it

and when i log in it say full start up disk

Is that a hint :-} You need to clear out some files to make room.

You should leave about 1/4 of the drive free for a HD, SSD's also need free space but unlike HD's smaller SSD's need more space 1/3 free otherwise you'll have uneven wear which will wear out the SSD prematurely.

Also have the same problem, my imac start then get stack midway. I have tried all the documented remedies but non has worked.

I have done ALL the possible things regarding this white screen of death - to no avail. Every single time I re-start it gets stuck at half way loading and then eventually just shuts itself down. Looks like the 2K $ plus I paid for this Mac in the end was not worth it - my last HP laptop lasted about two years longer...

the command+r doesn't work on my macbook. How will i fix the same issue as the first one does.. It stock on the apple logo and the wheel keeps on spining.

i am sure this can help you to fix issue just reset the laptop and update the o.s and if possible upgrade the ram http://goo.gl/rKGecm and i am sure this will help

Frank - You're not adding anything useful and the question has long since been answered. Lastly why do you continue to post a useless links??

If you have something to say then post it! No fluff like this only real content!

I have a similar problem, only after turning on my mac, I just have the white screen with the little circle going around and around, it's completely frozen, I can't even shut it down.

I'm trying to do the reinstall, but it says both my discs are locked when I go through the steps. Any help is appreciated

Hi yes please replace ur hard drive!

I'm having a similar problem. Booting gets stuck. I'm sure it's stuck, - went to work, came home 9 hours later, it was still stuck.

Things I have tried with no luck:

1. Reset the PRAM

2. Used recovery mode to check the disk - it's fine: has 25% free, has no other issues.

3. Used safe mode to boot - it gets stuck too!

4. Booted in verbose mode - all the initial messages seem ok - then I see the white screen, logo, progress bar (not verbose anymore) and it get's stuck.

5. Users recovery mode to reinstall the OS. Seemed to work, then reboots, gets stuck.

From recovery mode, I'd like to inspect the logs - is this even possible? looks like Console.app is not located anywhere obvious.

Super frustrated...any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

TIL - I needed to erase my old disk before installing the new OS. Fingers cross that my Time Machine backup is good.

TIL2 - MacOS Sierra install from Recovery seems broken. I downloaded a recovery image to a USB disk, then booted from it. Now I can install El Capitan, which seems to work. I can boot my Mac now!

From el Cap, I can install High Sierra. All good now.

Steps may be required to resolve the problem, you may be able to simply reboot into Safe Mode and reset NVRAM and fix the white screen issue,

1. Reboot into Safe Mode

2. Reset NVRAM

3. Reset SMC

4. Reboot and Repair Disk

5. Boot with Verbose Mode

6. Reinstall Mac OS

Yesterday i did an update (have high sierra, update was probably a small one) and after a while When Mac was avout to turn on after restart i got the circle with slender line.

Tried every step until restart Mac, which now says it cannot finish installation.

Mac worked perfectly before this smaller update and now seems to be totally unusable. Any answers? Can I undo this last update?

Aleksander Haugen your description is the same what I got

So I have the same problem and tried all the solutions above plus run command lines several times, none of them worked.

I did a backup to an external hard drive via Disk Utility, will it help if I format my hard drive?

Reset NVRAM fixed the startup problem. Thanks Sydneybush.

So since I had a copy on an externdal drive, I formated the disk. It works fine now, it installed Mountain Lion and I´m not updating for as long as I can...

Apple Airport Express is a Wi-Fi base station that's easy to set up, and it lets you steam music and print wireless from anywhere in your home. It provides best service related to their product you can avail the benefits fromApple Airport customer services.

Hi everyone, i seem to have a similar problem with my mac book pro - grey screen, apple symbol, timing bar thats eceptionally slow and just stays at the end. Ive rebooted twice but i have no mousse or any other function with any other keys... any help would be appreciated

Same problem with the grey line stuck at the end,.just reinstall my old HD and the problem is solved.

Madeline Schmid will be eternally grateful.

Past 24 Hours: 1,564