My mac is stuck on the white startup screen!

So, my sister was fooling around on my laptop, and somehow managed to change the color display. After that, system preferences became unresponsive, so I forced quit. After that, it would be unresponsive every time I opened it. My other apps like Safari and Chrome would shut down within a few seconds of opening them. So, I tried restarting. When I tried to turn it back on, it got stuck on the white startup screen with the apple logo in the center. It's still stuck that way! It's a school laptop, and winter break ends soon. I need this fixed ASAP, thanks!

I solved the issue with first answer. Problem occurred after updating. Option-command-p-r seems to have solved he problem. MacBrook Pro new user.

Thank You! I'm back in business -- took a while, but it worked

Reset NVRAM

Sometimes you need to restore the NVRAM to get your computer functioning again, reset the NVRAM by powering down the MacBook; restart and immediately hold down the "Command-Option-P-R" keys simultaneously. When you hear the start-up chime a second time, release the keys.

Startup Disk Selection

After resetting the NVRAM, you may need to select the startup disk. This issue usually affects computers with more than one hard drive. Start the computer as normal and hold down the "Option" key as the computer starts. When the Startup Manager displays, use the left or right arrow keys to cycle between hard drive options. Select the main hard drive, usually called Macintosh HD, and press the "Return" key. Wait for your computer to boot into the operating system.

Safe Mode

Starting in Safe Mode also includes an automatic disk check to verify and repair any issues with the operating system software. If you boot into Safe Mode successfully, you can then shut down your computer and attempt to boot normally. To start in Safe Mode, shut down your computer and press the power button to restart; after you hear the start-up chime, press and hold the "Shift" key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo.

Disk Utility

Use Disk Utility to check the status of your hard disk and make sure that you don't have a failing hard drive. Shut down your computer; restart and then hold down the "Command-R" keys until you see the OS X Recovery utility screen. Select the "Disk Utility" option and select the "First Aid" tab. Select your hard drive from the sidebar and then click "Repair" to diagnose and repair the disk. If you have a failing hard drive, a notice displays telling you to back up your system and reformat the hard drive.

Reinstall Mac OS

Reinstalling Mac OS X fixes any corrupt system files and repairs the operating system without deleting your files, applications and other data. Restart and hold down the "Command-R" keys. After you access the OS X Recovery utility, you may need to select a Wi-Fi network so that your Mac can download the latest installation files. Select the "Reinstall OS X" option, click "Continue" and then follow the onscreen prompts to complete the reinstallation of your operating system.

Hope this can help you!

Thanks SydneyBush for the Step by Step Troubleshooting !

My Mac Pro crashed last night while working. I went step by step and first tried NVRAM Reset a couple of times. Later I tried startup disk selection. I did get the option to select the only once. but nothing happened after. So i moved on to Safemode. Even though it didnt boot completely in Safemode, it shutdown properly after displaying white screen for a while. After this, i moved to disk utility. It worked like breeze. The utility showed all the drives. i did the verify and repair disk. there were no problems with the harddisk. however it did reveal that there was hardly any space available on my harddisk (20 MB out of 1 TB). I restarted the Mac. it booted properly and cleared all the unwanted files and increased the available space to 150 GB. Remember do all this with Main Power plugged in. A few of the attempts were futile when we tried all this on battery power.

Cheers

Pavan

Thanks for the info! My issue happened after a system update, it was asking for a restart and I let it do it, after that it wouldn't start at all. It would lock in the logo screen with the progress bar at about 50%.

I tried all steps above but only the "Reinstall Mac OS" worked for me. And it worked as expected, it download the OS, reinstalled, and everything is back normal, no changes to settings or software.

Thanks for your help!

I have the same problem. Only difference is there's no apple logo on center. Till login is fine but after that its plain white screen. It also notify's me that my start up disc is full. Sometimes this white screen happens and sometimes it doesn't. Today I tried 17times and 5 times the same that you answered. Usually when white screen comes. I shutt down and restart. Then it works fine. But now it aint. Plss help. Mines retina display 15inch

My disk says my OS X base systems and Macintosh HD appears to be OK. Now what to do??

Thank you very much sydneybush. Finally i fixed it by resetting the NVRAM.

> Try a safe boot.

> Run disk utility.

> Reset PRAM.

> Using terminal in single user mode.

> Reinstall Mac OS X.

Firstly you need to shut down your computer. Restart and then hold down the "Command-R" keys until you

see the OS X Recovery utility screen.

Select the disc utility option and select the "First Aid" tab select your hard drive from the sidebar and then click on "Repair" to diagnose and repair the disc. for any other steps visit this blog FIX-mac is stuck on the white startup screen! and see if this help to fix the problem

thanks

I turn on and it goes straight to white screen.. cmd-r doesn't do anything, opt-cmd-p-r doesn't work ( won't make start up sound a second time) .. now what?????? Need to get my HW off of here!!!!

i think you need to do some clean up and try removing some unwanted software, remove all unwanted start up programs and clean the disk and get the latest mac O.S and for more visit https://discussions.apple.com/thread/507... and make sure you restart the computer after update and settings

This blog might be helpful, please have a look: http://appletoolbox.com/2014/09/mac-fix-...

I'm experiencing the same issue and tried to resolve as Sydneybush suggested. But I shut down the MacBook after checking the status in disk utility. It was unresponsive (spin wheel was taking too long) and after rebooting using all methods mentioned above the load screen appears with a blinking "?" Folder. Honestly I'm at a loss now and need some help reinstalling OS X.

jd179 - Replace the hard drive/ IR cable. I suggest using the 2012 cable. You should really ask your own question on this.

I tried everything. When I try to reinstall OS X and it asks me to choose a disk where I want to install it no disk pops up. Please help.

Hi I have tried everything but still no luck in fixing the white screen problem, can anyone assist me please.

Hello everybody, I am facing the same problem. Disc utility option did not work to repair my mac osx.. What should I do now?

I read this post on apple logo stuck while loading Mac helped me. What I did was going to safe mode and then repair disk.

I have same problem.. but mac book is not showing login window.. it simply apper white screen with apple logo and half progress bar then shutdown pc. I have reset PVRAM , Reboot , Repair HD. Tell me what I will do other process. My Mac working perfect on yesterday. there is 19 MB Space right now available. so how to remove files with out showing screen ?

What about the apple appearing and then a circle with a slanted line through it

and when i log in it say full start up disk

Is that a hint :-} You need to clear out some files to make room.

You should leave about 1/4 of the drive free for a HD, SSD's also need free space but unlike HD's smaller SSD's need more space 1/3 free otherwise you'll have uneven wear which will wear out the SSD prematurely.

I have a similar problem, only after turning on my mac, I just have the white screen with the little circle going around and around, it's completely frozen, I can't even shut it down.

I'm trying to do the reinstall, but it says both my discs are locked when I go through the steps. Any help is appreciated

None of the options have helped for me. I am able to start up the computer, I hear the chime and it is a white screen. No logo, processing circle, nothing. The only one of the suggested restarts that had some type of response was the NVRAM, the screen would go black and chime over and over again until I released the "Command+Option+P+R".

I am unable to identify if the disck is full, or anything. HELP!

hi did you ever get this resolved?

same issue here, after I updated yesterday. Now is only white screen...

Hi yes please replace ur hard drive!

Madeline Schmid will be eternally grateful.