Western Digital My Passport Drive. USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive.

drive won't show up and making clicking sound

off of a sudden my 2tb WD External stopped showing up and is making a clicking sound. is this thing toast?

I had that problem and went to office depot which is where I bought it. The tech was able to access the drive using linux (more forgiving than windows). I immediately transferred everything to a memory stick. I shall never use an external drive to backup again.

this said solved which is y i opened this link but there's no solution, what exactly is the solution should i just throw this low quality garbage away...been using it for under 5 months and it decides to crash during exam week wow

did you ever find a fix for that problem?

Please, please tell me someone found a fix- I have a Mac and Mac compatible external harddrive.

Sadly, it likely is.

Here's a nice YouTube on what it looks like inside: How To Repair WD Clicking HDD?. Frankly this guy is trying to scare up some business with this vid.

In any case don't open it up like he did as you will make things much worse!

You need a clean room and very special tools to repair the drive if it can be. Often the heads snap off from a sharp bang. Think how a phonograph play worked with a record when you hit it you kill the record as the needle scratches it. A HD is no different, if you banged it you kill it. Data recovering services charge a lot so hopefully you have a backup.

Heres the WD TN on the causes: WD external hard drive makes a repeated clicking sound.

If it makes clicking noise most likely drive has failed. here is reference http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/deta...

I just had a 2.5" wd blue 500G drive die on my wife's Lenovo. The HDD make repeated clicking/chattering noises and for all intents and purposes was dead. I put the drive into the second sata bay of my Clevo laptop and windows disk manager showed it was recognized as a drive but could not register or access any volumes. This told me it most likely wasn't the HDD's circuit board.

Im pretty gifted at fixing things so with nothing to lose I removed the HDD's cover which revealed the platters. I noticed the head was parked in the middle of the platter. Very carefully I swung the head assembly back to its power off position. I buttoned everything back up, powered it on and to my suprise it was working!!! I scanned the disk for errors and none were found. Even though I had an incredible stroke of luck Im taking no chances, Im making recovery discs and will probably install a SSD.

I have a lot of WD drives, I'm a Vietnam based photographer and I use them to store my work on. I travel regularly for work so I keep three copies of every drive so that I can travel with two drives and leave one behind in case I get robbed while I am travelling. When all three drives are full I send the third drive back to my home country of Australia in case something happens to my drives in Vietnam. I have been using WD drives since 2012 and I now have 24 drives in total. In the past six months I've had this happen twice so I am thankful that I always keep backups of everything. On a side note I sync the backups using a program called Cronosync which syncs all new and updated files automatically at the click of a button. Anyway luckily both of effected drives where still under warranty when it happened and both where backed up onto other copies. WD replaced the drives within a few days of me notifying them of the problem as well. So for anyone whom does have a backup (and anything important should be backed up) then this is the best way to fix the problem. Just get onto the WD website and log into the my support section. Notify them of the problem and the drive will be replaced.

Mark will be eternally grateful.