An upgrade of the Nintendo Game Boy Advance, the Advance SP was released, in North America, on March 23 2004 with a square structure and clam-shell design.

Charge light goes on then off

I plug in my charger and the charging light flashes on for about a second before it turns off. I'm pretty sure it's not the charger because it works with another GBA SP, though that one is a slightly different model.

The model that isn't working is the newer one, with the brighter screen. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem. It's also not the battery because it works in my other GBA SP, the older model.

I have the same problem. Due to my lack of soldering skills, I may not have seen the source of the problem. I have swapped batteries, bought a new charger, all to no luck whatsoever. I hope somebody on this site can put a soldering tutorial, as I have an iron and I don't know where to put anything.

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Most Helpful Answer

Hey Daniel,

Make sure the charger you are using is the proper voltage to charge the device. If it's too little, it will not take a charge, you may see a little light like you said.

The charge cable may not be the problem, it may be the port you are plugging the cable in to. This port is soldered on to the motherboard of the Gameboy, and if it has become loose, you will not be able to charge it with ANY charger. If you have basic soldering skills, this is not a difficult repair, if you do not have an electronic repair background, I would advise selling it for parts, and purchasing another one.

Have a good one, sir. :)

Will it matter if my charger, since my sp's battery has a "ags 003: matter if my charger says "ags 002" on it?

If it does that it means the battery is full :D I also didn't know that and thought it was broken but it isn't bad IT JUST MEANS THE BATTERY IS FULL

You are not joking, thanks dude!

I almost broke my charger trying to figure out the problem thinking that my charger is faulty but then I kinda played for some minutes, plugged in, and it's charging!

Guys, I know how it feels, I felt like not using the game boy as if I finished up the charge, there would be no charger, but please try once playing for a while and then charging, I bet it works...

But anyways, if you screwed up the charger, here is a link. Get the cable for 4 dollars without shipment charges worldwide!!

https://m.banggood.com/1_2M-3_9ft-USB-Po...

That worked in my case too! I just fiddled with the charger and when I plugged it completely in,BOOM!It was charging

I bought this from another seller and it worked before, but I tested it now and it does not want to charge up (the light indicator would show but then quickly disappear).

This literally the same problem I have, post if you find a solution.

It's most likely already full of charge.

This happened to me too. Luckily, my brother has another Gameboy advance SP that didn't work except for the battery. I swapped batteries and it appears to be working again.

This also happens when you fry your charger, a bit. I've opened up my charger and can see that the capacitor (if not mistaken) was loose. The solder has melted and loosen up the foot of the capacitor on the circuitry of the charger. I re-soldered it and good to go.

#This should affect all the GBA charged with this particular charger.

It's most likely the battery is full or the battery is completely dead and you have to swap it with another one

This happened to me but turns out the charging port on my gba sp was loose. I Discovered this when I shoved the charger when I was frustrated, this could be the problem so try to shove the charger in or something like that.

Either the battery is already charged or it’s the battery that is not working.

I have this problem today… jan 12, 2019.. the unit has been stored and forgotten for years, and of course the Battery is dead for sure… I used the charger I originally use on my Brother’s SP and it charged normally. for some reason mine is not.. why is that? I’m sure that i never had this problem before…

Hi, i seem to have a problem with my gameboy advance sp ags 101. The original battery was dead and i decided to swap it with another gba battery that is working. The thing is the little orange light thats indicating that the gameboy is charging is always oppen even if the gameboy is shut down or not plugged in. what can i do ? I fear that theres an issue with the mother board that just suck all the batteries.

Daniel will be eternally grateful.