The April 2014 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features refreshed dual-core i5 and i7 processors, plus slightly increased battery performance.

Keyboard and trackpad stopped working, it works only in login. Help?

I woke up my computer the other day finding the keyboard and trackpad not working. The only button working was the power button.

When the login screen shows, the keys and pad works. The second I log in it stops working. Ive tried resetting SMC and PRAM, reinstalling Yosomite, nothing works.

Its clearly a software issue since its working in loging.

Any help please?

Now Im using wireless keyboard and mouse.

On a machine this new I would be talking to Apple Support.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it accepted.

Apple Support is difficult since they only operate with telephone calls. Im from Norway living in Thailand and dont speak thai, and they cant call me from Norway.

As a workaround connect a USB (doesn't have to be Apple) keyboard and see if that works. Also any USB mouse, and most Bluetooth mice/keyboards will work.

In a case like this the first thing to try would be deleting all the ~User/Library/Preference (.plist) files... many times strange behavior can be a damaged or corrupt preference. Did you recently add any fonts? Corrupt fonts also cause gremlins in the OS. -- Another quick way to find out if it's a corrupt file would be to create another user account --

Deleting .plist worked!! Thank you so much!

Didn't work after all. Stopped working after a couple of hours. Tried deleting downloaded fonts to, didn't help. Any suggestions?

Since it worked at first think about what you did (what programs you used) right before it stopped working. That program, or, that program's .plist could be corrupt, or causing the corruption. So try it again. You could even delete all the ~User/Library/Preference files - but you'll have to reset some of your application preferences. The easier way would be to create a new user account and try that for a day if it doesn't go bad in a couple hours you'll have verification that there's more than one bad apple (pun) in the bunch of apps you're using.

Try starting up in Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key on startup. This will disable any extensions that may have been inadvertently installed. If it does start up and run OK, you know it is a software issue. Also try starting up in repair mode by holding down the R key and run Disk Utilities.

It had the same problem i Safe Mode - worked in login but not after I logged in. Disk Utilities said everything look fine.

This is very wierd....

I am able to enter the password using safe mode by holding down the Shift key on startup. But when I restart it from sade mode, i am unable to enter the password as keyboard is not working.

Subhadip - you have an extension or a virus preventing you from logging in. Run a good virus program from an external boot drive or clean external system. Otherwise you will need to do a clean install.

All of these people and no answer i think i figured it out go to your system preferences. You will need to have a working mouse to get there obviously. Once your there go to Accessibility then click on the mouse and trackpad option. Once you are there you will most likely have ignore built in trackpad while using mouse. Uncheck that and your track pad should work now. You can disconnect your mouse and you should be good to go. At least thats what worked for me hope that helps.

I have had the same problem and I have find the solution... I was ready to restaure an old back up from time machin. To do so, I have before clean the desktop. I classified and removed all the desktop documents and restart the computer. Miracle, my macbook worked fine again. I think a document on the desktop was the cause of an interference with the keyborad and trackpad.

Had the exactly same problem with some macbook air 13" and it was finally hardware problem, replaced trackpad + flex cable and got fixed (did clean reinstall of everything software related and didnt fix it still worked in login screen)

Creating a new user worked for me! I copied my desktop, documents, and downloads folder, created a new user, and pasted everything there :)

press alt key five times

Erling Hauge will be eternally grateful.