How to replace drive belt on Craftsman riding mower

The drive belt broke today on my Craftsman model # 917255441 riding lawn tractor. I went to Sears and bought a new drive belt, but I do not have a clue as to how to put it back on the tractor. I need a diagram. Can you help?

hey Linda, my name is Jo this to happened to me, I got a replacement belt, figured out how to lower the mower deck, remove the blade belt, then came the problem I can't get it around the pto pulley. Did you get it fixed, and can someone help me

Jo

by Jo Sparkman

need to replace blade belt on 1700

by scotty2011

Read more : lawntoolsguide.com

by Jame

Here is the deck belt routing I use on my craftsman DSY 4500:

Start by anchoring the belt on right pulley (imagine you are sitting in driver seat for directions: front= north, back = south, left=west, right=east). Take front/north of belt from the far right pulley and pull to the south, then north, then south around the three middle pulleys (it will now be around four total if you count the far right pulley). Then pull the belt north to the pulley under the engine and around and out to the farthest pulley on the left. And the belt then runs straight across the back/south of all the pulleys, from the far left back to the far right pulley.

Hope this helps and wish I knew how to upload a pic.

by margaret keough

I did a search for lawn mower manuals and found this site:

Mower Manuals

Now, you might find (as I did) that most of them look about the same, regardless of exact model.

Before you start, lower the mower deck to the lowest position it will go. This will give you clearance to work. Some models have a special service position that is lower than the normal cutting range.

It is highly likely that the pulleys have guards / covers over them that must be removed with a small wrench. Make your life easy and spray them down with liquid wrench, WD-40, or some kind of solvent to loosen the bolts before you start scraping up your knuckles.

Look at the two pictures I have placed below. They are from two different manuals for two different lawn mowers and, other than the angle and the amount of detail, they are just about the same. Notice the covers over the pulleys have already been removed for easy access.

I lost my pictures; still new at this. Let me try this again.

Linda,

Here is a list of Craftsman Lawn Mower manuals. Go down the list until you find your model number, then click on that, then click past a few advertisements until you see the "get manual" button light up. Click on that, and you will have your manual in PDF format.

Regards,

Frank

There is a belt diagram on all craftsman L&G troctors located under running board since1990....

most I should say

by joe

Thank you Joe, you da man...

by Rick Brandt

The drive belt drives the rear axle and tires. It runs from the front pulley to a pulley located over the rear axle. You do not have to remove the deck. Put the belt on the front pulley and run it above the mower deck, through the belt tensioners, and back to the rear axle. To access the rear pulley, remove the battery and the battery holder so that you can see the pulley from above. Put the gear shift in neutral, or chock the front tires and jack up the rear axle so that the rear tires are off the ground. This will allow the rear pulley to turn freely. Reach through the battery compartment to the pulley, get the new belt started onto the right front of the pulley (you may need to use a flat screwdriver to help ease the belt into the groove of the pulley), hold the belt tight to the pulley with your right hand, use both your right and left hands to rotate the pulley in a clockwise direction. The belt will come around and finally end up in the pulley groove.

Linda will be eternally grateful.