0

http
59

What is sensor on harddisk? How to re-attach?

When I took out the harddisk (without removing the logic board) I had some struggle until it came out.

When it came along, a cable with some tiny logic board fell down. It looks like some kind of sensor (maybe temperature?) and it looks like it was glued to the harddisk.

Can you confirm that this is a temperature sensor?

How to re-attach it? Just some standard glue?

Edited by: iRobot ( ) , Ben Eisenman ( )

1

Gabe

This is the temperature sensor, and you should reattach it with glue that is conductive (in terms of heat) or electrical tape (you want it to be as close to the HDD as possible as to get the most accurate temp readings.

What type of glue is that? Any idea where to get such a glue? I used ordinary glue and hope that is good enough.

http,

0

Ozgur
13

Question is: Is temparature sensor show stopper for Hard Drive replacement or not?

I agree, I mean theres only one fan there. But if your HDD ever goes above 50C you'll never know... (Unless you check the SMART status)

Gabe,

0

Ozgur
13

I think i found my answer and placed an order from amazon. Looks like sensors can be used with aftermarket HDDs

Check this.

Will try with my 750gb WD which currently sits in my 2009 mini ;)

Edited by: Ozgur ( )

0

Tim Edmonds
1

I scraped the glue off of the old drive and stuck it on the new. It was very pliable, sorta like rubber cement.

There is also one on the SATA connector, but since that stays, it should not be removed.

Make sure you check the thickness on your replacement drive, it is a very tight fit and I don't think any of the thicker high capacity drives will fit.

0

Baker Wicked
1

I just pulled sensor off slowly and glue came with it.