Toro Lawn Mower

A lawn mower made by the American Company Toro

White smoke and Spitting Oil?

I shouldn't be allowed to operate power tools anymore but whatever... I was mowing my yard when I hit a piece of hidden wood. A piece of wood jammed against the side of the lawnmower and the blade, which required me to flip it on its side and dislodge the chunk of wood. After I removed the wood, I put the mower back into its right position and took a break(it's hot out..). After my 45 minute break I went to start it to finish cutting and it was BELCHING out white smoke and leaking and spitting oil out of the muffler. My father and I took a look at it finding nothing, but I took off the air filter cover and there was also an oily residue in there, more than normal. What could be wrong with it?

p.s.- Comment if you want pictures.

oh, the engine is a Briggs and Stratton

by Skippy722

I had a whole tank of gas drain out of my timemaster while sitting in the garage for 2 days. I added gas and it barely started, then cut off after 20 seconds. It started a few other times for a short period, then blew out white smoke and drips of oil from the exhaust. What could be the problem here?

by Justin

I have a craftsman Lt 1000 with a 16.5 hp briggs and stratton engine. I adjusted the valves and now the engine is smoking (white smoke) and blowing a little oil out of the exhaust.

by Jeffery Kirby

Skippy, when you flipped it over, you drained engine oil into the cylinder. If you let it run long enough the oil will burn itself off.

Or you can remove the muffler, drip the excess oil out of the engine, clean it up a little with WD-40 and a rag, reassemble and start it up again.

It may be a good idea to remove the spark plug and either clean and replace it. If you can clean the air filter do that also, or replace it with a new one.

Good luck, let us know

Frank

+ Ralph

by rj713

Thanks dude, it's not spitting oil anymore and no more smoke

by Skippy722

Cool. Next time you have to tip it up again, put the carb side in the air and you will avoid the smoking again.

by 040304

Uumm, do you mean the muffler side? I had the carb side up in the air when I did this (the muffler was pointed down towards the ground).

by Skippy722

I have a Honda lawnmower and the muffler for some reason cannot come off and plus how can I take the oil out of the engine when its full...Secondly my other lawnmower I have has a cord to start the engine came out...how can i fix it...

by lalyashneil

Im suprised noone said that you arent supposed to tip a lawn mower on its side, Your supposed to tip it front end up..

Ok so same thing has happened to me. Brand new mower, used only for 2 Yrs. white smoke is coming out of it big time!!! Now it doesn't want to start.

by Pat Medina

If it's 2 years old, it was brand new 2 years ago. Now it's 2 years old, which is quite far from brand new.

by alterego45auto

He mean to say that it is only 2 years old since he bought. Though a lawn mower may not last a life time it should definitely last more than 2 years. The issue is that the lawn mower may have tilted while you were mowing and too much oil may have come out to the filter. Open the filter and clean it up or replace it and also replace the spark plug and you should be good to go.

by hihi75

I have oil pumping out of the crankcase vent tube into the carb which makes a big plume of smoke. I had tipped the engine over to get the oil out to change it.

The answer from 040304 should work for you as well.

by oldturkey03

I bought a use mower from a guy and the mower did not have but a little oil in it. I put oil in it and started the mower and the mower started blowing white smoke and I have oil pouring out of the mower, can anyone tell me what just happen. What do I need to do to stop the oil leak and the smoke.

by Johnny

same thing just happened to me, hit a rock and lawn mower died out, now the round thing that blows out the smoke is spitting out oil when i go to start it everytime, occasionally i can get it started again but it wants to die out and will eventually die out, after a few mins

If your blade hit a big/heavy rock and stalled it is possible that you have a bend crank.

by oldturkey03

Mine made me mad I hit a big high patch of grass and it was just a huge rock under there mine starts and runs for about 30 seconds but it puffs the white smoke and oil runs out every where but it doesn't get any lower on oil I'm up to the full line

by Logan Browning

DUDES!!!!!!thanks it worked. First my lawn mower didn't start had gas gap open ,tipped it a little then I I started lawn mower , muffler spitting oil, filter dirty with oil. Took muffler off cleaned with w 40 first,filled with windex shaked cleaned then I water hosed down until no foam was form.but it together and then start it on again. A little smoke came out waited a lil and no smoke came out at all .tomorrow. Buying new spark plug,filter and see what happens. Everything works but tomorrow I'm cutting my lawn so let see what happens .THANKS. Everybody

I have been noticing puffs of white smoke and obvious distress of the power of the Briggs and Stratton on my Toro engine as the oil is sucked into the engine on a bend or slope, it lasts for a couple of seconds and clears up. I did a check on the oil level and found it to be too high. Odd that, as it was okay in the summer. Just tried again today (the grass needs a cut despite being January) after not using the mower for a couple of months ( did not drain out the fuel for the winter) and could not start the thing. Huge puffs of white oil filled smoke from the exhaust, but not quite starting. Checked the oil and found it was no longer oil but mostly petrol / oil mix and way too full. Drained out the oil and replaced it and ride on mower started first time with oodles of white smoke burning off for a while. Trip round the garden and all well as far as the engine is concerned. Just need to solve how petrol can transfer directly into the oil sump. There is no stop $!^& on the fuel side so perhaps the float valve has stuck open and petrol has been dripping into the engine and passing the rings. Any ideas?

All well with the engine. A new float valve assembly in the carb and seems to have cured the fuel leak. The fuel does go down into the crankcase ( weird design issue) when the float seal fails with wear. Added a stopper on the fuel line as well to be extra certain. New head gasket and cleaned out the very carboned head and piston top and replaced the spark plug. Set the tappets and all runs sweetly now.

by trevorpitt

I had my lawn mower tipped forward in my shed over the winter an when I got it out to cut grass for the first time this year it started spitting out oil and white smoke is it gonna blow up on me I'm scared to use it and I don't no what the thing is called that it spitted the oil out of its on the side of lawnmower with a bunch of little tiny holes in it plz help

by Michelle

And Does a lawnmower take the same kinda oil a car does

by Michelle

the kind of oil you need should be in your owners manual and the type of oil needed is based on the outside temperature.

by casiokbman1

Skippy722 will be eternally grateful.