Toro Lawn Mower

A lawn mower made by the American Company Toro

White smoke and Spitting Oil?

I shouldn't be allowed to operate power tools anymore but whatever... I was mowing my yard when I hit a piece of hidden wood. A piece of wood jammed against the side of the lawnmower and the blade, which required me to flip it on its side and dislodge the chunk of wood. After I removed the wood, I put the mower back into its right position and took a break(it's hot out..). After my 45 minute break I went to start it to finish cutting and it was BELCHING out white smoke and leaking and spitting oil out of the muffler. My father and I took a look at it finding nothing, but I took off the air filter cover and there was also an oily residue in there, more than normal. What could be wrong with it?

p.s.- Comment if you want pictures.

oh, the engine is a Briggs and Stratton

by Skippy722

I had a whole tank of gas drain out of my timemaster while sitting in the garage for 2 days. I added gas and it barely started, then cut off after 20 seconds. It started a few other times for a short period, then blew out white smoke and drips of oil from the exhaust. What could be the problem here?

by Justin

Skippy, when you flipped it over, you drained engine oil into the cylinder. If you let it run long enough the oil will burn itself off.

Or you can remove the muffler, drip the excess oil out of the engine, clean it up a little with WD-40 and a rag, reassemble and start it up again.

It may be a good idea to remove the spark plug and either clean and replace it. If you can clean the air filter do that also, or replace it with a new one.

Good luck, let us know

Frank

+ Ralph

by rj713

Thanks dude, it's not spitting oil anymore and no more smoke

by Skippy722

Cool. Next time you have to tip it up again, put the carb side in the air and you will avoid the smoking again.

by 040304

Uumm, do you mean the muffler side? I had the carb side up in the air when I did this (the muffler was pointed down towards the ground).

by Skippy722

Im suprised noone said that you arent supposed to tip a lawn mower on its side, Your supposed to tip it front end up..

same thing just happened to me, hit a rock and lawn mower died out, now the round thing that blows out the smoke is spitting out oil when i go to start it everytime, occasionally i can get it started again but it wants to die out and will eventually die out, after a few mins

If your blade hit a big/heavy rock and stalled it is possible that you have a bend crank.

by oldturkey03

Mine made me mad I hit a big high patch of grass and it was just a huge rock under there mine starts and runs for about 30 seconds but it puffs the white smoke and oil runs out every where but it doesn't get any lower on oil I'm up to the full line

by Logan Browning

I have oil pumping out of the crankcase vent tube into the carb which makes a big plume of smoke. I had tipped the engine over to get the oil out to change it.

The answer from 040304 should work for you as well.

by oldturkey03

Skippy722 will be eternally grateful.