2

Skippy722
3k

White smoke and Spitting Oil?

I shouldn't be allowed to operate power tools anymore but whatever... I was mowing my yard when I hit a piece of hidden wood. A piece of wood jammed against the side of the lawnmower and the blade, which required me to flip it on its side and dislodge the chunk of wood. After I removed the wood, I put the mower back into its right position and took a break(it's hot out..). After my 45 minute break I went to start it to finish cutting and it was BELCHING out white smoke and leaking and spitting oil out of the muffler. My father and I took a look at it finding nothing, but I took off the air filter cover and there was also an oily residue in there, more than normal. What could be wrong with it?

p.s.- Comment if you want pictures.

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , Skippy722 ( )

oh, the engine is a Briggs and Stratton

Skippy722,

I had a whole tank of gas drain out of my timemaster while sitting in the garage for 2 days. I added gas and it barely started, then cut off after 20 seconds. It started a few other times for a short period, then blew out white smoke and drips of oil from the exhaust. What could be the problem here?

Justin,

5

040304

Skippy, when you flipped it over, you drained engine oil into the cylinder. If you let it run long enough the oil will burn itself off.

Or you can remove the muffler, drip the excess oil out of the engine, clean it up a little with WD-40 and a rag, reassemble and start it up again.

It may be a good idea to remove the spark plug and either clean and replace it. If you can clean the air filter do that also, or replace it with a new one.

Good luck, let us know

Frank

Edited by: 040304 ( )

+ Ralph

rj713,

Thanks dude, it's not spitting oil anymore and no more smoke

Skippy722,

Cool. Next time you have to tip it up again, put the carb side in the air and you will avoid the smoking again.

040304,

Uumm, do you mean the muffler side? I had the carb side up in the air when I did this (the muffler was pointed down towards the ground).

Skippy722,

1

Lucy
13

Im suprised noone said that you arent supposed to tip a lawn mower on its side, Your supposed to tip it front end up..

0

samzprecious1
1

same thing just happened to me, hit a rock and lawn mower died out, now the round thing that blows out the smoke is spitting out oil when i go to start it everytime, occasionally i can get it started again but it wants to die out and will eventually die out, after a few mins

If your blade hit a big/heavy rock and stalled it is possible that you have a bend crank.

0

Pieter Prall
1

I have oil pumping out of the crankcase vent tube into the carb which makes a big plume of smoke. I had tipped the engine over to get the oil out to change it.

The answer from 040304 should work for you as well.