iPhone 3G Repair

Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

My ringer switch is faulty

Hi guys,

I recently took my device to pieces to replace the case, the ringer switch previously didn't work at all. After cleaning it a little and putting it back it works intermittently but still is completely unusable.

Is there a way to repair it? Should I order a new component (Rear housing with new buttons or simply a button)

Thanks a lot!

I noticed you never got an answer to this. Are you still having this problem?

by machead3

Yeah I am.. It's even worse now doesn't work at all.

by Martin

Take the phone apart and take out the ringer switch; look at the plastic button and see if it looks physically broken. If it does, you could buy a new one, but I suspect the real problem is the electrical switch. You already tried cleaning it and still haven't completely fixed it, so it sounds like it's time to buy a new one.

If you can find a good price on a complete rear housing (including working buttons), that'd be simpler to replace and save you some time ... if not, looks like you'll need to get the whole ringer switch assembly.

Martin will be eternally grateful.