Repair and disassembly guides and support for dish washing appliances.

LG Dishwasher Water not draining fast enough, OE error code

My dishwasher is 15 months old. When I first started using the dishwasher I noticed occasionally I would come back and see error code flashing on the dishwasher. I would always restart the cycle and it would complete with no problem. Starting this week, my dishwasher started giving an OE error code every time I ran it. I called a company to come out and take a look at it. The technician looked at it and told me that I needed to remove my floor in the kitchen so he could pull the dishwasher back and look at the drain hose. He told me it looked like the drain hose was clogged because when he blew on the drain hose he didn't see any bubbles. It would cost me $260 to fix the hose, plus my cost to remove the laminate. After he left I took the drain hose off of the connection to the garbage disposal and put it in a bucket then I ran the dishwasher. The water came out of the dishwasher into the bucket and filled it up. When I lifted the hose up to the height of the dishwasher drain, the water stopped coming out. Can anyone explain why it would drain when it was low but stop when I raise it? Is the technician right and I have a clogged hose?

If it would be clogged, it would be clogged in any position. Have you removed the drain hose and taken a look at the pump? What model LG is your dishwasher? Any chance you still have factory or dealer warranty?

Yes, it is still under extended warranty.

At this point I haven't had a chance to remove the lament flooring. I'm planning on removing it this morning so I can pull the dishwasher out and take a better look at the drain line. I didn't think it made any sense that it would drain well is the line was low but wouldn't if I raised the line. I was thinking the pump might be putting out low pressure but I wasn't sure how to determine if that was the case.

Update: Called the original installer out to look at the dishwasher. He removed a excess drain line and moved the high loop from under the cabinet next to the sink to under the sink and it worked fine. When I called the warranty service company to look at the dishwasher they told me the drain line was clogged, that it wasn't covered by the warranty and that it would be $269. Bottom line: if it doesn't make sense, don't take the warranty repair mans word for it. Also, just because it have a warranty doesn't mean that they will fix it for free.

Warranty never worked for. In my case it was the pump. Warranty repair person says it is not pumping strong enough and it was not under warranty.

I had this problem. Here is the solution. You'll need a compressed air source, even a small compressor.Remove the hose from the pvc trap pipe under the sink. (one screw) Using a blow gun, force air back through the hose until water gurgles up in the dishwasher. Then watch the water drain.! Works every time. Hose needs to be bigger, bad design. Technician will charge you big bucks for same procedure. Good luck.

Jeff, you are a dead set legend. Was just about to buy a new one when I saw your tip. Hooked it up to my compressor with a garden hose reducer to drop the diameter down and its a goer. All done in 5 mins... Cheers

Wayne

Glad to hear it worked for you. Once in a while we crack their code. Well done!

Jeff

Jeff, I can get an air tank that holds 125lbs. Will this work? Also isnt there a check valve in the system that wont allow back flow or flush. Thanks Mark

Mark 125 lbs is more than enough. It won't take much. Wrap a towel around the hose where the air blower to optimize pressure going in and hit it. Not sure about the check valve thing but it worked for me. For about 3 seconds I got nothing and then it gurgled and the water drained. If there is a check valve, the clog may have been on this side of that valve and the air pressure may have just blew up the food clog enough to dislodge it. Fyi rice always seems to be a problem so clean your plates of rice, Stuff turns into concrete. Good luck!

Again do I just put it in the end that goes to the garbage disposal and blow back to the dishwasher. Thanks Mark

There is a 'choke point' in the drain system.

If you remove the white nylon fitting on the left side you will see it.

It looks like a trap or siphon breaker with two large gray tubes and one smaller black one.

If you remove this part, examine it and clear it you can be sure the whole discharge tubing assembly isn't clogged.

In my case it only took two lemon seeds to stop the dishwasher with an OE error.

If you do replace the whole discharge piping assemble the problem will be solved (but only until it happens again).

C Affel

Compressed air will likely force the debris back toward the washer and clear it temporarily.

The smaller tube, the siphon breaker, will bleed some air when you try to test the discharge tube by blowing into it from where it meets the discharge pump. This may lead you to think the tube isn't clogged further on or that the pump is weak. Try my advice above and truly clear the rest of the discharge piping before buying anything.

Did you have to take the dishwasher out and turn it upside down to work on it?

I found this video on youtube. Is this the line to fix/clear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYv0Z_0...

The dishwasher stop draining with non-obvious clog. What I did was to lower the drain connection from under sink to a container close to floor and use quick cycle( as opposed to Normal) and it started draining and working fine now. When I examined the container with the waste water there was nothing obvious that could have clogged the pipe. So it must be clogging to a "choke point" that has some kind of sensor to tell the control stop proceeded. Anyway, just lower the drain

If it's covered under warranty why are you messing with it? Let the tech fix it for free.

The tech wouldn't fix it for free. He told me it was a clogged drain line and tried to get me to pay him $269 to fix it. I ended up calling the person who installed the dishwasher and he fixed it for free.

I have the exact same problem at 11 months. Same thing, called warranty repair, and they gave us a local repair guy. He came out, says it's a clogged hose, and would get a new one. We aren't paying - but it has been a month now --- and still no hose, and no dishwasher! says its on back order. What, is there a run on these hoses? Maybe this should be a recall issue. I want to dump the whole thing! 15 years with my kenmore -- issue free. What is this? We are also suspecting it is a programming error with the draining... Giving false readings on the level of water, and causing it to stop prematurely. Any thoughts?

I have the same OE issue, I took everything apart and checked al lines are free...ot will gravity drain just fine but at the end if the cycle it just won't pump. I check ohms reading on pump and is at recommended reading about 24 ohms. I applied power to the pump and it started pumping. So i cleaned everything and tried it and nothing. Still...nothing. So another fix it forum said probably the PCB circuit board. Bought it from Repair clinic.com and that didn't work either. So without a parts and wiring diagram I'm just guessing now. Is there some other switch that tells the PCB that the water is in the bottom and tells it start draining? I see no such switches except on the fill side there are two. Just wondering if there is a correlation to these floats and telling the PCB to send voltage to the drain pump.

So if any one here is a master LG tech ot had this issue maybe you can guide me to the next trouble shooting step. Thanks for anyone's help

My OE code showed up right after the warranty expired (go figure). Checked all drain lines, all clear. Replaced the drain pump, still with the code. In Canada you can't order parts without going through an LG authorized repair centre (a scam). I was guessing the circuit board also at this point. I took the entire thing apart and no idea what else it could be. Frustrating to say the least especially calling LG service line. "Here's the number of the service dealer, we want nothing more to do with you since we already got your money". Buying Samsung next time.

I got the OE error too. Pulled off the drain hose where it enters the household plumbing and turned on the dishwasher on to drain.....worked perfectly.

The problem was not with the dishwasher, the plugged drain was in the household plumbing. Used an air compressor to break the clog free, then pumped some water into the pipe and quickly blew more air into it with the compressor so that the pressurized water could push out any clog remnants.

Everything is working perfectly, hopefully it'll be good for another 5 years!

I blew air back through my lg dishwasher and it blew the flapper plug clear out. So I had to take the bottom drain apart to put it back in. Re routed drain hose then everything worked again.

Well here is another guy struggling with same OE error code . After it came up first time (4 years after we bought the dishwasher) I checked the filter and drain hose where it connects to garbage disposer. There was a small piece of plastic stuck at the junction and filter was pretty dirty. I removed obstruction and cleaned the filter but the code kept coming up . As of now it stops the washing cycle and leaves some water on the bottom of the dishwasher. When I press normal and delicate button together the drain pump kicks in and expels the water out. So since water is coming out I don't think the drain is plugged. any more. So my next mission was to check the drain pump. Since I don't have a new pump yet I didn't feel like pulling the unit all the way out so I tried to remove the drain pump and casing from below. I took the plate off and noticed that pump is accessible. It was a challenge to work around it with very little space. To take it out I had to take off two clamp. It took me a while but I managed to do it . I used vise grip pliers to take the clamps off. The pump assembly didn't have any major obstruction aside from couple of hairs . I also checked the flap valve , it had a clear plastic piece right behind it. I thought it might be causing issues so I removed that. I hooked everything back but the code still came up. So I went online and ordered the drain pump and case (came together, pump alone is more expensive for some odd reason). I will get back to you once I try the pump. I am thinking that maybe my pump is not working as good and not expelling the water fast enough. One thing to note is that pump piece can be taken off without disconnecting hoses There is a little tab that needs to be pushed and then a little turn will remove the pump . This way you don't have to mess around with the clamps . I hope this helps those of you thinking that dishwasher has to be removed and flipped upside down for this project. Changing it from below is not easy but it saves you a lot of hassle disconnecting water supply , electricity , and moving it out. If I am 100% positive that pump is an issue maybe I would move it out but I would hate to keep disconnecting it for any other possible attempt at solving this issue. I am not entirely convinced that new pump will solve the problem but it seems to be logical next step especially since I don't have to disconnect the unit in order to replace it. If it doesn't turn out to be pump my next think to check would be whatever sensor is telling the machine that water is not draining.

As a poster here before.... who had success with the air compressor (twice) - I eventually got an OE code like you - same issue water in bottom - same would drain when force a drain at buttons. Eventually I decided it had to be the pump. Bought a new one - and replaced it - and it worked fine. Then about 3 months later the main pump (water circulation) failed.... I decided I would not throw more money after this piece of crap and I bought a Bosch... Bottom line unfortunately is that I think LG dishwasher is crap even though I paid a pretty penny. I expect your new pump will fix OE but beware of other problems.

Thanks for your response. At least we got good at taking things apart :) I am not impressed with LG. Our entire kitchen is LG and laundry units. Washer is still working 14 years later, dryer broke down after about 10. Kitchen is 4 years old, aside from dishwasher issues our fridge is also having minor problems. Light doesn't come on when door is open and gasket/seal around the door is cracked in couple of spots so sometimes door doesn't create very tight seal, I bought a new one but haven't installed it yet. Stainless steel stove got scratches from me trying to clean it with paper towel which might be my bad trying to scrub it too hard. I do have an LG phone that is working well :).

They just don't make anything that lasts any more. I hope that new pump will extend the life of this dishwasher a bit but I am not very confident that this will be my last battle with this device.

Alright so I ordered drain pump from repair clinic and it came super fast. It took me a while to confirm which pump I really need. Sears support kept suggesting wrong pump (main one) while I really needed drain pump. So I suggest being extra careful when ordering these so you are sure they send you correct one. Taking the old pump wasn't that big of a deal but for some reason I struggled for about an hour putting the new pump on. Main reason as noted in the previous comments is that there is very little space to work with. Hooking up pump to the drain hose was easy but connecting it on the other side was very difficult. There is one clamp on that side that you need to keep open/expanded (I used vise grip pliers) and than you have to slip it over the connecting hose and then you release that clam so it closes tight. I had really difficult time doing it because there is very little space to work with . If I pulled the dishwasher out and flipped it upside down it would take me 5 minutes to replace the pump but then maybe I would get stuck on something else. Since i knew it was possible to replace it from below I kept going at it until I finally connected the pump. Replacing the drain pump took care of the OE code and dishwasher seems to be working fine, I have done two loads without problems. Hopefully this is my last post about this dishwasher :) Pump I used is on the link below

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/...

Had the same 0E error. And dishwasher wouldn't drain fully. I took the hose off at the sink and drained it into a bucket a few times at the start of the cycle, so the pump and drain were working.

I read the post about pumping air from the drain end of the hose. I use a can or air (like for computers) and sealed the hose with my finger against the aircan tube, and wallah, it gurgled and bubbled back up inside the bottom of the dishwasher. did this 2 more times. Ran the dishwasher and it worked fine. May have been a coincident or dumb luck, but tried everything short of taking it apart before this.

Is there a 'flapper valve' at some point from the drain to the connection to the garbage disposal? if so, what direction does it open and close? meaning if you blow air from the disposal toward the motor, the flapper valve is on the motor side.

Otherwise, if contrary, you blow compressed air from the disposal side you'd be blowing air, holding the 'flapper valve' shut. Is that right?

That make sense?

Can someone answer?

Oh by the way, I tried to force compressed air from what was suggested above including an air mattress pump but couldn't reproduce 'bubbling' effect. Perhaps not enough pressure. Do I need to rent and air compressor to get the desired air pressure?

would a garden hose do the trick?

I opened all the hoses and there is a rubber Flapper where the Black hose connects. I believe it is not stiff enough and will flip backwards. I can blow it with mouth and it opens the flow. The stupid pump is so week that even a small seed will cause the flapper to get stuck. This is the worst design we removed GE that was working perfectly for 20+ years to buy this fancy expensive machine. First time it clogged at month 11 and the repair man had replaced the tubing. Now I just blow in it happens every few months.

A big thank you to all of you. OE error light came on tonight a year after replacing the drainage impeller for £130. Thought I was going to be facing another big bill to repair. So took your advice and disconnected the drainage pipe a blew down it. Took a total of 2 minutes to do and now it's running perfectly. Thanks again.

Andy

Look beyond the drain pulll unit out and follow the drain hose up to the top. There is a small screen just between the hose couplings. Three cherry pits was all it took to block the flow enough to set off the sensor. Let me know if this solves yout problem.

For mine it seems to have been the small black vent hose drop the plastic piece in the middle of the drain hose to the plastic mechanism on the side of the dishwasher. I blew back through it and now it works...

It is possible on the display for a D to looks similar to an O. You probably have a DE error code which indicates a drain problem.

Check your drain line, make sure the drain hose is not kinked and is not blocked especially at the connection to the sink or garbage disposal. This is typically the reason that a dishwasher won't drain. Remove the hose and clear any clogs, then reinstall.

Verify that water from the sink drain is not making it's way into the dishwasher. I would recommend creating a high loop in the dishwasher drain pipe, which is attached to the sink drain below the sink. The high loop can be fastened to underneath the counter-top. This will prevent any water from entering the dishwasher from the sink; it also prevents the dishwasher drain water from making it's way back into the dishwasher.

Verify that the pumps drain impeller is working. You can reach the impeller from inside the dishwasher after removing the lower rack, spray arm and arm support. This typically involves removing a few screws. Once upper parts are removed, inspect the drain impeller (which pushes the water toward the drain port) for any cracks or missing blades. If the impeller is defective the water will not drain properly and you would need to replace it.

Verify that the drain valve is working; many are controlled with an electric solenoid that opens the valve, sending the water to the drain. There is a chance that the solenoid or the diverting lever could be stuck which would prevent the water to drain. If so, try to free up the solenoid and lubricate the lever. Otherwise the solenoid or pump assembly may have to be replaced.

Verify that the motor is turning/ working and that there is power to the motor. If the motor hums but doesn't turn, it may need to be replaced. Motors can get stuck if not used regularly. If the motor is defective, the water will not drain and you would need to replace it.

There is one common denominator in these discussions...never buy LG dishwasher again .

I agree... I posted this issue on their web site and they removed it. The drain pump is too weak and no garbage cutter like in GE washers. So you have to rinse the dishes before you put them in.

I tried blowing the drain pipe out with compressed air from the sink end as noted before, and it worked for me too. Thanks Jeff

Woke up to the OE code. Read thru all posts and here is what I did. I removed the line off the drain under sink. Removed the line off pump. And used wet dry vac on line to get all water out. Then removed the pump off machine. Again using vac to control water, as no matter what I tried I could not get it to drain, Now with pump out. I could inspect. 2 cheery pits. Seeing as we have not had cherries in 6 months I think my pump has taken a hit. Anyways. Put it all back together and first load worked fine. Thanks 4 year old LG.

Have same problem.Drain hose and pump motor was replaced but still show error code at the end of the cycle.No water left in dw.

Had the OE code on my LG dishwasher and no draining checked some things finally found this site and disconnected the drain at the disposal .Plugged solid with white rice, sucked everything out with a wet vac and reconnected everything works great thank you so much for the info

Is putting a cherry pit in your dishwasher a British thing? I recommend not putting cherry pits in the dishwasher.

Score -1

Brian will be eternally grateful.