Released October 24, 2011 / 2.2, 2.4, or 2.5 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Split a cup of tea on the keyboard while on and charging?

I was working on my MacBook when it knocked over a full cup of tea onto the keyboard. The entire cup emptied and all of it landed on the laptop.

I lifted it up straight away, held it upside down to let any excess liquid run out and held in the power button to turn it off.

My question really is what should is my best method of repair?

So far I removed the bottom panel and taken out the hard drive. I don't have a Y1 Tri-wing Screwdriver or a T6 Torx Screwdriver so I couldn't remove the battery or other parts.

Now I have it sitting close to a radiator to help it dry.

Thanks very much this is a great help. I have order the Ifixit 26 Bit Driver Kit which has all the heads needed for this repair.

The only thing is i don't have a bag of rice big enough to totally cover the laptop, is it ok t just have it in a bag and pour the rice over the components? See photo

Put the back cover on first so you don't have to pick rice out of each component and potentially damage the components. About the rice, that is fine, just put the rice in a bag and then close the bag completely, the goal is to get the Mac in a completely dry environment to limit corrosion.

Most Helpful Answer

Put it in a bag of rice to remove the moisture from your Mac. I would leave it in there for a few days. Then take it out and clean all of the connectors and the logic board with a Q-Tip and use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl 90% only). This worked with my iPhone this summer when it got wet. It might sound weird to use rubbing alcohol on your Mac, but it will remove any corrosion and it evaporates so quickly that it won't hurt it. Just make sure you gently squese out the Q-Tip before you rub it on the connectors or the logic board. Make sure before you put it back together everything is dry and all of the connectors look clean from dust. If you see black spots on a connector that might mean that that part is fried, so if any connector looks like that just take a picture and upload it here.

Things you shouldn't do:

1. Don't try to power you Mac on.

2. Don't plug your Mac in.

3. Wait a few days after you Mac has been in a bag of rice before you try to power it on or fix it.

Just know that Apple Care will be voided if you take it apart. You should buy the proper screws to take your Mac apart, conveniently you can buy them here on iFix It. So while your Mac is in the bag of rice you should buy them here on iFix It and then take your Mac apart. One thing I would suggest, don't submerge the Logic Board in the rubbing alcohol or rub it on the screen. Hope this helps, please hit the like up arrow for me. I would recommend getting the iFix It version of each screw driver.

Y1 Tri-Wing Screw Driver

T6 Torx Screw Driver

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2011 Repair Page

Water Damaged Apple Products

T6 Torx Screwdriver Image

Product

T6 Torx Screwdriver

$9.99

Tri-point Y1 Screwdriver Image

Product

Tri-point Y1 Screwdriver

$12.99

Christopher Higgins will be eternally grateful.