Replacing Cell Antenna (searching...)

My 5S got stuck in a searching mode where he can't connect to the Sprint network. It was working fine until afternoon yesterday suddenly stopped working. When it was on Wi-Fi I am able to use iMessage and use apps like Safari and access the Internet, but I still can't make or receive calls and I also can't send text messages.

I tried doing reset network settings, and even it all out restore, with no luck. I've also tried ejecting the Sim card and reinserting it. I still have the same problem.

I googled around a little bit and found this website suggesting that the antenna and it may need to be fixed on the iPhone five model. The parts on the iPhone 5s, but I can't find any type of repair list it for the cell antenna.

Is this possible? I don't see any type of package on iFixit.

Thank you.

Most Helpful Answer

Don't replace the antenna, this is a main board problem, replacing the antennas won't help

Can the main board be replaced, or is it bricked now?

Don't replace the main board, it is not economical. Repair it.

As long as the baseband chip is intact, it can be economically repaired.

How would this be done? I don't see a guide to repair the logic board. How can I tell if it's intact?

how can it be repaired?

ever get this sorted? I have exactly the same problem

The problem here could be a faulty baseband IC, the phone usually goes into "searching" with this fault and is unable to find a mobile network, to further check whether this is the fault, more often than not the modem firmware number (which you can find in settings > about) , is blank

To fix this problem, it can be done by reflowing the IC, but as with any reflow, the fix is never guaranteed to be a permanent 1, the best fix is to have it removed and reballed (new solder applied)

This post is three years old.

My comment was in reply to Anwar who's question was a few weeks ago and was unanswered,. you've marked my comment down ??, you absolute twonk !!

Does not matter it is old - just helped me a lot. Indeed my Iphone 5s is stuck on "Searching" and the Modem Firmware is blank. Now I just have to figure out what is "baseband IC" and how to fix it... Thanks!

Hello have you tried another sim it's possable the sun could be the problem.

Anyway if another sim is having the same issue then you need to replace antenna it is located on the dock connector so you will need to replace it.

iPhone 5s Lightning Connector Replacement

So you're suggesting to replace the lightning connector and this will fix the problem, or is the cellular antenna another part? Thanks.

There are 3 antennas in the iPhone 5s. They can't fail at the same time. So it must be something wrong with the main board. Check in the system settings that you can still read IMEI and ICCID, if not, the baseband isn't working, which means the phone is mostly likely not worth repairing.

Yes replace the lighting port as the antenna is located on it

I can't boot the phone at all. It's stuck in recovery mode and when I try to restore it via iTunes it fails after about 45 minutes with an Error 3 code. The install log suggests that the Baseband failed.

My baseband is working and I can read IMEI and ICCID. However my reception is still spotty. Should I replace the lightning connect?

I have an answer just throw that piece o $@$* from sprint down an elevator shaft and all problems solved!! Becauae SPRINT SUXXXX

Poop ,,,$@$* this thing wont let me say $@$* haaa

Main board problem. Replacing the charging flex will resolve nothing. As another has already pointed out there are multiple attanie and the likelyhood of simultaneous failure is too slim. Moisture commonly causes this failure. Especially if it is located on the underneath side of the Sim on the main board. Try placing a different cellular provider's sim a lot of times certain frequencies are damaged at the end of the day your sprint phone is only suited for sprint network usage. Goodluck

Try resetting the phone, it might help, had same issue in the past. replacing the antenna will not help.

I got 5c, it's keep searching, no bet work for past 13 hours, what do I need to do. I did all resetting but doesn't working.

did u try puttin it in rice

is it basmathi?

Are you making iPhone paella?

I have an iPhone 5S I water on it

Try using R-SIM 11+ or replace Docking cable

Matt will be eternally grateful.